Topic: Pianobar & TLS Issues

I have cross compiled Pianobar for the silvermoon platform and cannot get it to authenticate with Pandora's servers properly.

Unfortunately googling my current issue hasn't revealed a solution because the issue I'm having has the same failure scenario as an extremely common problem that is only tangentially related.

When running, I receive the common "Network error: TLS handshake failed." message that is typically associated with an invalid tls_fingerprint setting in the config file.  The typical solution for this is to run a script in pianobar's contrib directory that grabs the proper fingerprint via openssl commands.  This doesn't work for the silvermoon platform.

If I run the openssl commands to get the latest fingerprint on my development machine, I get 2D0AFDAFA16F4B5C0A43F3CB1D4752F9535507C0, however if I run the same command on the chumby (which has openssl binaries) I get BFB9164C8EB0BF521430686D5933CE7C, which is incorrect.  Neither work correctly in getting pianobar to connect successfully.

The difference in output from running the "tls_fingerprint.sh" script is in the following command:

openssl x509 -noout -fingerprint

When run from the two machines on the same input, the output is different.

I cross compiled a ton of libraries to get pianobar running and the following shared libraries are loaded from my build:

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libao.so.4
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libavcodec.so.55
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libavfilter.so.4
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libavformat.so.55
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libavresample.so.1
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libavutil.so.53
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libgcrypt.so.11
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libgnutls.so.26
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libgpg-error.so.0
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libjson.so.0
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH/lib/libswscale.so.2

I'm thinking it's NOT an issue with my compiled bits and pieces because of the fact that openssl on the silvermoon gives me an invalid fingerprint.

There are still a couple that get loaded from the default rootfs that are my biggest suspects for the problems I'm experiencing:

/lib/libc.so.6
/lib/libdl.so.2
/lib/libm.so.6
/lib/libnsl.so.1
/lib/libnss_dns.so.2
/lib/libnss_files.so.2
/lib/libnss_nis.so.2
/lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2
/lib/libpthread.so.0
/lib/libresolv.so.2

strace also shows me "/etc/resolv.conf" being opened when running pianobar too, but I don't see how that would cause this issue.

Does anybody know of any potential problems with the openssl libraries on the silvermoon devices?
Should I re-compile the nss/nsl libraries as well?
Could it be math (libm) or libc messing things up here?
Could it be my configuration of libgcrypt or something causing this?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Re: Pianobar & TLS Issues

Minor update (and bump)... I was attempting to statically link pianobar, and after re-configure/re-builds of a few components to enable static libraries, I got stuck because some libraries in the chumby-provided toolchain aren't compiled statically and got me stuck.

I believe there should be source for these things, so I might be able to convert them to static, or something, but this rabbit hole is getting pretty deep.

I was hoping I'd get a "oh yeah, just replace libssl.so with a re-compiled with --enable-something option and you'll be good to go" type of solution by posting this... Oh well! big_smile

Wishful thinking here, but with all the new traffic on the site, I'm going to be naughty and bump this thread in case somebody has some ideas that hasn't seen my thread!

Materdaddy wrote:

I'm going to be naughty and bump this thread in case somebody has some ideas that hasn't seen my thread!

you? naughty? nevah! smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
Materdaddy wrote:

I'm going to be naughty and bump this thread in case somebody has some ideas that hasn't seen my thread!

you? naughty? nevah! smile

That reply was naughty... I got an e-mail that a reply had been posted and got a little exited that maybe somebody had a clue.

Oh well. big_smile

give it time, we've only been at this for about 33 hours! smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.