1 (edited by Steevo 2014-04-16 08:20:43)

Topic: Infocast 3.5 fails to boot

Well, this is a new one on me.
I have an Infocast 3.5 on my desk before me.
I use it for the space clock and for the streaming.  Hahaha.
Sorry, that was a joke.  As you can imagine, I have seen enough space clock to last me the rest of my life.

So I was sitting here, and I pushed the button on top to select a stream.  It blinked, and went blank.

I thought, "how odd".

I pulled the plug and plugged it back in and it said Inisgnia, the green screen.
Then the screen went white, and it never booted.
It's done that a few more times. Never boots. Never downloads control panel.  Never does anything.

Could this unit have damaged it's flash somehow? 
It never got to "downloading control panel".

Hm. Well, this is getting more weird.
I have more as you can imagine, a few spares.
I plugged another one in to the same ps.
It acts the same.

So I took the "failed" unit across the room and plugged it into the ps that was running another one, and it boots fine.

It seems I have a spontaneous ps failure. Happened before my eyes.
This is a generic 5v power supply that happened to fit, not an original chumby ps. Or infocast ps.

I emailed the forum member, Doktor Jones I think, about those adapters he was making, but I didn't receive a response. I think I need some of those.

Re: Infocast 3.5 fails to boot

it sounds to me like it's suffering from the bad power supply issue that affected some of the chumby1 power supplies. 

I don't have an I3 so I can't compare the power supplies, I'm not sure if they're the same.

it's a pretty simple fix if you're handy with soldering, and if not, as others have said, you can get a 5v 2amp power supply and splice old plug onto the new power supply.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Yeah, well, it's not an original.  I am looking at Digikey  CP-017-ND which is the plug, I can cut the plug off and solder.

The power supplies for the I3 and C1 are the same voltage/power rating and connector.

I know where you can get a new power supply:

http://www.thechumbystore.com/parts/

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Steevo wrote:

I emailed the forum member, Doktor Jones I think, about those adapters he was making, but I didn't receive a response. I think I need some of those.

Hey sorry about that, I got a deluge of email around when I got yours, and I didn't have time to reply right then... then your message got buried under the rest and it completely slipped my mind >_<

If you're still interested, I have one or two of the adapters fully built and ready to ship; otherwise you can buy a supply from thechumbystore as BoloMKXXVIII suggested (and support Duane!) or get the Digikey plug and a generic 5V/2A supply and chop your own.

I actually found another power supply here, and it works.  So the present issue is resolved. 

No big deal, I have about 6 infocast 3.5s running.  Most are just sitting there with space clock (gack). 

But since I threw AT&T DSL out and got TWC I can use the streaming, which didn't work at all with that terrible AT&T circuit.