Topic: Chumby + Free Wayport = no luck

Hi fellow Chumbites!

I decided to take my favorite device for its first business road trip this week. However, after arriving at the hotel, I have run into a problem trying to connect to their free Wayport WiFi. Since you have to open a browser & accept terms/conditions before it opens up DHCP, Chumby is throwing an error message after connecting to the WAP.

Has anyone figured out a work-around on hotel WiFi situations like this? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance,
Gazing longingly at my Chumby in Orlando

Re: Chumby + Free Wayport = no luck

We don't have a good solution for that at the moment.

The usual hacker techinque is to spoof the MAC address of the chumby using a laptop or something, authenticating, then running the chumby - that works most of the time, but requires that you can change the MAC address on your computer.

Another method we've used is to remove the Wifi dongle from the chumby, plug it into your laptop and configure it as your network connection, authenticate, then put the wifi dongle back into the chumby.

The even *more* hackish method is to trace the actual HTTP transactions done between the webform and the server, and create a simple debugchumby script that performs the same operations using curl, effectively simulating what the browser does.

Most times, however, I'll just run my laptop wired and configure the internal wifi to act as an access point and share the connection.

>The even *more* hackish method is to trace the actual HTTP transactions done between the webform and the server, and create a simple debugchumby script that performs the same operations using curl, effectively simulating what the browser does.

Actually, this sounds like the most reasonable option usability wise. And running the script is effectively a confirmation that you knew what you were doing and therefore agreed to the conditions.

The next step would be for somebody to run Wireshark while doing the log-in sequence and post (cleaned-up) traces somewhere. Any takers?

And where should this go? WIKI is an option, but maybe this could be a start of script collections on something like Sourceforge or assembla.com.

Usually we'd like to see those sorts of things on the wiki since it's the natural place for someone to look first.

would removing the wifi dongle from the chumby hurt it or void my warranty?

or is it easier to fake a MAC address?