Topic: Call for beta testers.

I've been hinting that good things are coming, and the recent control panel update was just the first sign that things are happening.

Duane's spending his time working on things, instead of telling us about the things he wants to do, which I, for one, wholeheartedly approve of.

I've dropped a couple of vague hints, but I'll tell you now, there's a beta of the new service that's just starting to work; as a result, I have widgets on my chumbys again.  It's been hard not to jump up and shout it from the rooftops.

We're getting close to the point where we're going to need some extra people to help test the new service.  It's not quite at that point; Duane's got a few big things that he wants to get working before opening it up to more chumbys.

The point of this post is to start gathering a pool of potential beta people.

If you want to be considered for the beta, here are some ground rules, off the top of my head:

• you have to be comfortable sshing into the chumby and editing a file.

• you have to want to *TEST*, try everything out, and notice things that aren't working, not just get into the beta so your widgets work again.

• you have to be able and willing to write up good bug reports on what you found, and check the bug list to see if it's already been reported.  "x is broke" won't cut it;  it needs to be "this function, here, doesn't work when I do this, this and this."   ie, a clear explanation of what the bug is, and what steps are needed to reproduce it.  the more, clearer data that we can provide Duane, the faster he'll be able to get things fixed, and get the service up and going.

If, after that, you're still wanting to help find and squash bugs, then PM me here with a list of what chumbys/infocasts you have, and a short blurb about your level of experience.  I'll get the list together for Duane's approval and selection.

It's been thrilling to see the polarbear cam working again. smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.