Topic: Is my Chumby One dead?

I bought it when they first came out, and it's been a trusted friend ever since. The only previous problem I've had was the power supply failure which was solved with a quick trip to Radio Shack (thanks to Duane's post -- http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8438 ).

This morning, I awoke to see the circles on the blue screen, basically alternating between plain white circles and multicolored ones. I unplugged it and pulled the battery. Restarting it got me to the Blue Octy animation before rebooting. Every time I've tried to restart it since, I get no further than the multicolored circles on the blue screen, which then dissolves into a blank white screen. That's where it remains...unresponsive. Every time I unplug and replug it, I get the same thing (blue screen with circles, dissolving into a white screen).

Is there any hope for the little guy? I should note that I'm not a techie at all. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Re: Is my Chumby One dead?

See if you can get into "special options" mode - if so, then try a USB firmware update.

Getting into special options is done by powering up the device while touching the screen.

Hopefully that will fix it - the symptoms *sound* like the SD card is failing, so it *might* take more than that to fix it.

I just tried it, and the "loading special options" screen dissolved to white as well. Time to order a new one?

You might be having another power supply problem.   that would be my first place of attack.  I've repaired three c1 power supplies, and each one had different failure modes, one wouldn't work at all, another would boot part way and repeat, and another would just reboot or hang every couple days. (the last one, after a new cap in it's power supply had at last look been up for three months.)

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I did think it might be that again. The plug *is* a bit loose (and the power cuts off if the plug leans the wrong way). It's better for everyone though if I don't try to perform surgery on it! wink So, I just ordered another C1 from the Chumby Store along with a couple of donation stickers.

Duane, do I remember a post from you asking us to send you old Chumbys for parts? If so, give me an address and I'd be happy to send you mine to harvest its organs. The screen and sound are still good, and it was working just fine as of last night.

yes, please, do *not* toss the old one! if you have the original power supply still laying around, send that back for refurbishment too...

No problem, but where can i find the address to send everything?

I'm sure Duane will post a preferred address for equipment to be refurbed/returns.

Address in a new topic in the "Service, Warranty and Repair" section.

Got it. Thanks!

carldc wrote:

Got it. Thanks!

I've packed up your new unit - should go out Monday morning.

We're down to only one new C1 left in the store.

If mine was gonna fail, I'm glad it was now! Hopefully you can cobble together a refurbished one from my old one and find a new home for it. I have a busy week ahead, but I'll do my darndest to get it in the mail by mid-week. I'll post here when it goes out.

I've got my original CC (the ole' kid's still humming along after six years!) to tide me over until the new one arrives. Thanks for everything!

I have an inventory of used C1s - I have to go through them to test and update them before putting them up on the store.

The old C1 went out in the mail this afternoon. I assume you will deactivate/deregister/whatever when you get it because I didn't have a chance to do things like log out of Pandora. I sent it back in the same box (and same bubble wrap) in which the new one arrived, so don't think I'm returning the new one!

I recently did some early spring cleaning that included a bunch of old electronics, so I feared that I threw out the old C1 power supply (I've been using the Radio Shack replacement you all recommended a while back). Good news is that, not only did I still have the original power supply, but I still had all the international plug adapters. Everything's included in the box with the old C1.

I got the new C1 yesterday, and it's up and running just fine. I had to set up all my alarms and radio URLs again, but other than that, it's as if nothing ever happened!

P.S. Interesting reading on the back of the invoice! wink

Care to share what it said?

16 (edited by carldc 2014-03-14 06:50:35)

It's part of a rental agreement. Kudos to Blue Octy for being good environmental stewards and reusing paper! smile

[...so technically I lied, it wasn't really interesting at all]