Topic: Sound Issue, anyone else having this problem?

I am having a problem and I would like to see if others are having similar issues or if I need to send my Chumby in for service. Here is the issue:

Chumby's sound seems to be turning off on its own (a few times I have woken up to the alarm screen with no sound going off). I have started to test to see if the sound is working before I go to bed with a game widget but sometimes the sound is just off. I tried turning up he the volume, putting it all on the left or right speaker, or messing with other basic sound features but nothing seems to turn it back on. The one way to get the sound back is to reboot him, but the sound seems to still turn off over time. It had happen a few times before the newest update, but it seems to be happening more since.

Are other people experiencing a similar issue, or should I put in for some support?

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties; He integrates empirically.  ~Albert Einstein

Re: Sound Issue, anyone else having this problem?

I am totally having this same problem.  The alarm will work just fine for a few days and then one day I will wake up to see the alarm screen but no sound.

This is a major pain obviously and gives me little trust in the alarm.  Personally I bought the chumby to be my sole nightstand device... an alarm clock on steroids if you will.  So I hope this issue will get resolved somehow.

Is it just my chumby and this other gentleman's or is this a more systemic issue?

Brian

It happened again.  Any word on this issue?

I noticed this for the first time last week.  Took a reboot of the Chumby to get my alarm working again.

Some people have said that it only happens when an iPod is hooked to the Chumby. Do all of you have an iPod hooked to it when this happens, by chance?

Yeah, if you guys can find a consistent pattern to this behavior, we're interested in hearing about it.

I do not have an ipod on mine.  In fact I have only clicked the music icon once to see if it would work with my iPhone when I first go the chumby.  (it did not work btw)

I have not really done anything but basic operation really.  Last night in fact was the first time I actually got around to using ssh and playing around with it in that fashion... before that really it has been just creating a few channels, clicking around on the control panel, etc... nothing really out of the ordinary.

None of the widgets that I use seem to employ any kind of sounds that I can tell.. (it was my hunch that perhaps a widget did something to lock the sound)

I will of course be on the lookout for how to reproduce the issue.  Until then, what are my options?

Probably not much at the moment - there is active development on improving and optimizing the chumby's audio subsystem, so I think you can expect this to be addressed in firmware updates at some point.

No iPod here either.

Hey Duane,

Thanks for the response.  You have been very helpful on the boards.  However, I must say that I do not understand your response.

I would think that either:

1.  This is a recognized issue that you have reproduced and you are definitely fixing it in an upcoming update.

OR

2.  This is not an issue that you can reproduce and therefore, we may have a faulty Chumby.

It seems that you are saying you have not seen this issue and that I just need to hope it gets fixed sometime down the road.

Is this correct?

We do have known issues with the sound subsystem, but we're having a difficult time creating consistently repeatable circumstances to recreate the particular behaviors described  here.  That's the necessary first step for us to figure out what's going on.

Duane, as soon as I see a pattern, I will let you know.  I'm pretty good at waking up on my own, but it was quite the bummer to look over and see my Chumby on the alarm screen with no sound.

Same issue here on a newly received Chumby, iPod not attached.  Rebooting resolved the issue for the moment; waiting for the next occurrence.  Like others, this is intended as my primary nightstand device.  Thanks.

Got my Chumby for Christmas and I'm having the exact same problem.  No iPod hooked up.  So far the issue has been resolved by resetting.  I'll post if it happends again.  For what it's worth, I only have one channel and it only has the blue "built in clock" and the "Weather by the Weather Channel".

To the other posters on this thread: Are you still having the same problem even after resetting?

Scoob

Exactly the same situation - just the Weather channel applet and the clock.

Likewise, random failures of the alarm...

I use a custom alarm1.mp3 on a flash drive for the alarm. Sometimes just playing the sound with the player will help.

I am intermittently having the same problem.  It's corrects itself when I reboot, but pops back up periodically.  I should note that I am running the Beta control panel & don't recall this happening with the stable control panel.

Typically, when the issue occurs & there is a widget that *should* produce sound, there is a brief crackle & then nothing.

I haven't noticed a pattern yet with any widgets or other functions triggering the problem.

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

I may have had a similar issue. So far not a problem w/ my alarm but just listening to music. At first I thought my network connection dropped or something so Shoutcast stopped streaming. Then I switched to iPod and the same thing happened. I listened to a song for about two minutes and then the sound just cut out. The song appeared to be playing but no sound. I hit pause and then play again and it would play. I changed songs and the same thing happened. I repeated the steps (Pause, play, next song) and it didn't happen the third time. Very odd. I'll try to track exactly what is going on the next time it happens and report back.

i think i have the same problem:

i do streaming a lot from shoutcast and i have connected my chumby to an amplifier via the stereo jack connector. After 2-3 minutes of streaming the sound will turn down, dissapear from one chanel, come back again and so on...
so i can't use it !
if i unplug the jack connector and i wait for 5 secs than inser it again it will work for another 2-3 minutes

what can i do?

thx

hey guys from chumby, nobody here?

The guy that would be able to answer that, bunnie, is currently on vacation - I'll point out this thread for when he gets back.

Does it do the same thing for streams besides SHOUTcast?  How about MP3 files on a USB stick?

Does it do it with all SHOUTcast stations, or just some?