Re: My Chumby Stopped Working ;~(((

It is possible the new power supply is new defective. It is not uncommon.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Be sure to confirm the voltage and polarity - it should be plus-center.

Also check that you are using the right adaptor. From the picture, it looks like a bit like one of the adaptors will fit into the power socket on the Chumby, but will actually be too small to make a proper connection.

My European chumby one seems to have exactly the same problem. This morning I found it stuck in a reset loop. Tuns out it only works on battery, and it resets when I connect the power supply. On ac alone it won't even start.
The voltage from the power supply is 5.25 v so it should be okay. I think it has something to do with the chumby internal power circuitry.

No, it's definitely the power supply.

As they die, they will still show the correct voltage on a voltmeter, however, they will not hold the voltage when under load.

31 (edited by francesco 2012-10-28 12:15:50)

Thanks for the reply Duane.
I disassembled the chumby and measured the power supply voltage under load, while stuck in the reset loop. Indeed the voltage dropped to 4.75 with battery and 4.25 without battery.  At least it appears it can still charge the battery, when turned off.

Now I have to find a suitable power supply.

Update: I have a hard time finding a device with a 3.2x0.9 mm plug. Will a 3.5x1.35 mm  also work? (because otherwise it seems I'm stuck)

Don't worry about matching the plug, which is apparently very hard to do, just cut the plug off your old PSU and use it to replace the plug on the new one.  Make sure you leave lots of cable on the plug so you can re-do the connection if necessary, get the polarity right, and insulate the wires properly afterwards.  If you don't have the skill or tools necessary you could ask an electronics repair shop to do it for you.

For those with little or no wire splicing experience:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007 … ice-wires/

HEY You Guys,

Got a new power supply (Duane) from the place u suggested & guess what,
the 1st 1 they sent WAS Defective, MY Chumby works fine now!!!! U cannot a=imagine my delgiht.

Thank you, many many THANKS from little ol' me here in the worn out City <3

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

It is possible the new power supply is new defective. It is not uncommon.

You were so Right, the new power supply was defective. I was in an abyss of sadness, not only over my washed up 60 year old life as a cripple who can barely walk, but not to be able to see my Chumby throughout the days & holiday seasons was really a bit much.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for sending happiness back to my bedside.

A great way to splice wire is the lineman's splice, or "NASA" splice.  It's sort of like the "new" method suggested via Bolo's link, but the wraps are a bit tighter, and a bit more insulation is stripped to allow for a certain number of wraps.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/02/28/how … standards/

The NASA standard of course involves soldering, but your Chumby probably isn't going into space any time soon (probably, anyways!) so it's probably not necessary.

An important thing to mention when splicing wire is that, in multi-conductor wire (like the two wires of a power supply cord), you should always stagger the splices.  Always.  What this means is that the splice for the (+) wire should be done about 2 inches apart from the splice for the (-) wire.  Even though you should be individually wrapping these splices anyways, staggering will prevent them from ever touching one another (thus shorting out the power supply, possibly causing a fire) even if the insulation on the splice falls off/wears off/cracks/gets chewed by your pet iguana.

It's worth repeating, stagger your splices!  In case I forgot to mention it, always stagger the splices.

Oh, by the way, stagger your splices.

Guess what?  Yup, you guessed it.  Stagger your splices.

Doktor Jones,

Thank you for the link. I will have to give it a try next time I work on something. One point of clarification though. You should remind everyone to stagger their splices!

Huh? What should I do with the splices?

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/western-union-or-linemans-splice.jpg?w=514&amp;h=580

-----ooo-ooo----------------------------------
---------------------------ooo-ooo------------

A picture is worth a thousand words...

:-P

For those wondering what I mean by staggering splices, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.  Okay, so maybe cheesy paint pics are only worth about 500... still, this will save myself a lot of typing and help out you visual learners smile

http://i.imgur.com/tplbq.png

Of course you should still individually cover each splice (ideally with heatshrink, but electrical tape will work too), as well as put something over the entire spliced section for additional strength.

Wanted to thank y'all for good advice.  My Chumby stopped working, too.  Check the power supply first, found 5V.  I was getting ready to junk the Chumby (even had it partially apart to see what makes it tick -- got the WiFi dongle working on a PC, too).  Didn't think about the fact that switchers don't always show the same voltage under load.  Raided my junk box for a replacement and I'm good to go.  Thanks!  I owe you one.

For all the help everyone has provided on this forum, I have put together a helpful video that will show you how to fix your own power supply in minutes (with all the right parts and tools).

You can find it here on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/cgbhG7JyT50

or search for Chumby Power Supply Fix on YouTube.

~Thanks