Topic: Telling Amazon to shove it

~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~
I am making this post 100% independent of Chumby and the chumbysphere Forums.  Even though I am only a volunteer moderator and my posts should never be interpreted to officially (or unofficially) represent Chumby or chumbysphere Forums, I want to make it very clear that this post is not made in any official capacity!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case you hadn't noticed, Amazon Payments has been asking for your Social Security Number, "to comply with federal regulations".  What they don't tell you is that these federal regulations do not require you to provide your SSN unless you have over 200 transactions a year, or transactions totaling $20,000 or more in a year... they just ask you for it anyways, even if you've never been on the receiving end of a transaction on Amazon.

Well I don't really feel comfortable providing a private business with my SSN, so I decided to see what I could do.  Turns out, the IRS makes it easy for you: you can apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) online.  Here's how I suggest filling out your application:

• Type of legal structure: Sole Proprietor (you're effectively in business for yourself, so this is true)
    Select "Sole Proprietor" again when asked to choose between that or "Household Employer"

• Reason for requesting an EIN: Banking purposes (you're getting it to shut Amazon, eBay, Paypal, etc up)

• Fill out your personal information truthfully, including your SSN.  This is the IRS, they have it already anyways.  Mark that you are the sole proprietor.

• More about the Sole Proprietor: Fill out truthfully (likely no for all options)

• What does your business or organization do: Retail (assuming you've ever sold anything on eBay or Craigslist, this is true)

• You have chosen retail: Selling goods exclusively over the Internet (eBay, Amazon merchant, etc qualify for this, I think Craigslist does as well since the transaction is initiated online)

I then gave Amazon my shiny new EIN (no hyphens) and my name/address (which they really already have anyways -- make sure you use the same name/address as indicated in the personal information on your application)... and they happily accepted it.  Presto, Amazon will stop pestering you for your SSN (which they have no right to if you don't meet the federal requirements).

Re: Telling Amazon to shove it

I purchase from Amazon and they have never requested my SSN. I will not give it to them if they ever do ask. I have a strick policy about this type of thing. It would be a good way for them to lose my business. Even if they don't really do anything with it, what happens when (not if) their servers get hacked and now the bad guys have your name, address, cc#, ssn, etc.?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Doktor Jones is talking about people that *sell* through Amazon.

Duane wrote:

Doktor Jones is talking about people that *sell* through Amazon.

(Smacks forehead) Stupid me!

Just got back from a cruise and I guess I am still feeling the effects of the alcohol induced motion. First cruise with a large group of friends. The bar bill can get frighteningly large.

Even if I was a seller I think I would tell them to place their request in an anatomically uncomfortable location.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Actually, if you use Amazon Payments at all (such as if you back anything on Kickstarter), even if you've never sold anything, they claim to "need" it.

Doktor Jones wrote:

Actually, if you use Amazon Payments at all (such as if you back anything on Kickstarter), even if you've never sold anything, they claim to "need" it.

Interesting.  This must be a new requirement.  The kickstarter I backed a little less than a month ago (or maybe just about a month ago) didn't require this.  I haven't been asked yet, but I also cleared up my wishlist a bit right before they were going to start charging sales tax in my state...  I will NOT give them my SSN.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I've never sold or attempted to sell anything on Amazon, yet when I went to back something on KS recently and got to the payment page, I was told I "had to" give them my SSN.  Amusingly, I could just click the (X) in the corner and make the popup go away and go about my business, but I decided to preempt a mandatory request for it, and did the EIN thing.

The EIN seems to satisfy Amazon's not-legally-required requirements, and as far as I can tell it's perfectly legal (the IRS can use the EIN to identify you for tax purposes) smile

I knew about the requirement for "sellers", but didn't know they asked that for "buyers" too.  Sorry about the confusion.

@ DoktorJ- Thanks for bringing out this important privacy issue. There's nothing "fishy" at all about getting an EIN (or TIN, Taxpayer Identification Number.) It's used in a lot of circumstances. I had to get one years ago as part of setting up a Trust Fund. I was afraid there might be some follow-up by the IRS, but nothing in the past 10 years, even though this trust actually has some funds in it. I used a slightly different form back then, W-9.

I didn't hear about this problem at Amazon, so thank for the heads-up. I ran into a similar problem trying to set up a PayPal account- just for buying, not for selling. I was trying to make the account as anonymous as possible, I think using "cash recharge" cards. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but they wanted my SSN.

The rationale for this stuff is supposedly to help the Feds reduce money-laundering. Of course, I'm sure the real criminals have no problem getting valid SS Numbers. Thanks again for this DoktirJ. The variety of important stuff you can learn on these Chumby Forums is amazing.