Topic: Push data to the chumby?

So from what I've read, it seems that the chumby goes out to the internet and fetches its data... what sort of possibility is there to push data to it?  (I'm thinking of the possibility to, say, push an email to it which will then come up and notify you above the current widget)

Re: Push data to the chumby?

"Push" is a very tough problem nowadays, where devices are hidden behind NATs.  There are some protocols that manage to accomplish it under very specific circumstances (for instance, SIP with a STUN server), but it's a very fragile technology.

I started a company that eventually bought "push" pioneer Pointcast back in the late 90's - the dirty little secret was that Pointcast never actually did "push", it was actually periodic HTTP fetch, just like the chumby.

3 (edited by zirga.com 2007-11-09 23:13:16)

hmmm, well, I would imagine that those of us who push would be really important to are familiar enough with networking to get past NAT problems.  I wonder if there's a way to do this via ICMP-- just set the chumby to ping some server every 5 or 10 seconds with 16 bytes (or can you go even smaller?), but set up the server to only return the ping if it has information to give...

hmm... this seems very possible the more i think about it...  by my numbers, with polling every 5 seconds you're only looking at 270kB/day of bandwidth, a number that's not going to cause any problems for anybody, and much lower overhead than sending bulky TCP packets back and forth...

so... I'm sure I'm overlooking something-- why wouldn't this work?

hmm, so it seems like this wouldn't work for multiple chumby's sharing one public IP, unless I'm missing something...  unless they were smart enough to talk to each other and ALL go check when there's something to push to one of them...  or they could all send different sized pings...

alright, i better go to bed, I'm just talking crazy.