Topic: Do you need a device deregistered?

NOTE - this post is not relevant while the "stub"server is active.  All device are currently registered to the single fixed "Chumby" account and that cannot be changed until the full service is restored.

If you have a used Chumby device that is still registered to another user, and you can't reach them to deregister it, here's the procedure for deregistration.   Note that I cannot help you with Sony dash devices - you *must* go through Sony.

1) Collect the following information from your device:
  (a) the device ID
  (b) the username of the previous owner
  (c) the name of the device
  (d) your username

2) If you have a chumby-branded device, send me this information at "support@chumby.com"
3) If you have a Insignia branded device, contact Insignia's support and provide the information.

To get the information for a chumby Classic, chumby One, or Infocast 3.5, do the following:

1) Launch the Control Panel by hitting the top button
2) Hit the "Settings" button
3) Hit the "Chumby Info" button

The device ID is the text of the form XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX, made up of the digits 0 through 9, and the letters A-F.   The other two items are also on this screen.

To get the same information on the Chumby 8...

1) Hit the top button and navigate to the home screen, with the six big icons
2) Hit the "gear" icon in the upper right
3) Hit the "Device Info" button

The device ID is the number on the bottom, and the other two items are at the top.

For the Insignia 8" device...

1) Hit the top button.  If you're on the top level (green) screen after boot, hit the "apps" button.
2) Hit the white-on-black "Insignia" logo in the upper left.
3) The information will be in the pop-up dialog.

In order to deregister a device, I need to access the administration console for the Chumby service.  For security reasons, I can only access this console from certain locations.  If I'm traveling or otherwise unable to access the console, it may take hours or maybe days for me to be able to fulfill the request, so thanks in advance for your patience.  I process these requests as soon as practically possible.

Re: Do you need a device deregistered?

Can you define "contact insignia's support"?  I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything fruitful.  I didn't think any of the support things I found would have been fruitful.  They were all customer service reps for TVs and other such Insignia products.  I have another Infocast on it's way that should be delivered Monday, and I'm not sure if it has been deregistered yet.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

There's contact info on http://insignia.chumby.com/pages/help_support

unwiredben wrote:

There's contact info on http://insignia.chumby.com/pages/help_support

Perfect, thanks Ben.

The new Infocast arrived yesterday and wasn't registered, so I don't need it after all, but it will likely be helpful to somebody else.

Not sure if this is worth posting because of (a) my intended use of the device, and (b) the current state of things, but I just booted an I8 that I'll be doing some tinkering on and it's still registered to the previous owner.

(a) REDACTED
(b) REDACTED
(c) REDACTED
(d) Materdaddy

Done.

Thank you sir!