Topic: software update release notes?

I'm currently getting production_release_396_2 on my chumby...(side note: bit torrent? That's cool if so...are there places I can regulate how much down/upstream I'll allow?)

Is there a standard place to look for fixes/features/updates? I'm excited to see what's new (and would be into finding out what's being worked on in the next update, too, if you're up for being that transparent).

Re: software update release notes?

And now I'm getting 396_1...Maybe _2 was updating the updater?

Sooo excited, what could it be?

Can't wait to find out.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

It took about 6 tries to get my Chumby to download the update - the first 5 attempts caused it to reboot and start over almost immediately after clicking the "NOW" button on the update screen.

Just got SW: 1.2, but what's different? The Chumby.com page still lists 1.1 as current.

Heh. You can tell this is an early adopter crew, huh? I'm the tentative early adopter. I clicked "Later" but I keep refreshing the forums smile

I can't be 100% sure, but it does look like the touch screen is a bit more responsive.

The ChumbyChat widget now knows who I am.  InternetRockstar FTW!

The crazy flickr clock widget now animates through a bunch of different options for each number, which is pretty damned cool looking.

The release notes should be published this afternoon.

In general, this is a bug fix release, although it also lays out some infrastructure for some enhanced functionality in an upcoming Control Panel release.

Thank you for the update!

Thanks for the update Duane.  Looking forward to the control panel update.

dave wrote:

And now I'm getting 396_1...Maybe _2 was updating the updater?

There are two major partitions on the chumby - "rfs1'" ("normal" mode, what you folks look at most of the time) and "rfs2" (aka "special options" mode).  They update separately, and each updates the other, which is why the chumby booted a couple of times during the update process.

And yes, the updates come to you using the BitTorrent protocol.

Oh no, not bittorrent! My school has blocked all access to bittorrent. So that's why the update display has just been sitting there for 30 minutes doing nothing.

highdefinition wrote:

Oh no, not bittorrent! My school has blocked all access to bittorrent. So that's why the update display has just been sitting there for 30 minutes doing nothing.

Well, one of the changes in this firmware update is that it will fall back to HTTP if the BitTorrent fails.

However, you'll have to get this update in order for that to work (in future updates).

You should probably move your chumby to somewhere where BitTorrent isn't blocked for the update, or use the USB dongle method - instructions should be posted shortly on how to do that.

Definatly a MAJOR improvement with the touchscreen. Before I would keep a spare stylus from my Treo next to my bed so I could hit the on-screen buttons, but now it seems much more accurate and responsive.

Can't wait to see the release notes.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Once the software upgrade completed, all my RSS readers widgets are being redirected to SFGate News...looks like a San Fran newspaper. I checked my settings on the website and they have not changed. I opened each widget and resaved. Nope... still broke.
Rich
N5CSU Dallas

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

n5csu wrote:

Once the software upgrade completed, all my RSS readers widgets are being redirected to SFGate News...looks like a San Fran newspaper. I checked my settings on the website and they have not changed. I opened each widget and resaved. Nope... still broke.

OK - we've filed a bug on that.