1 (edited by jvc 2012-04-11 13:43:30)

Topic: openFrameworks on Chumby 8!

Still in testing phases but this is the general environment. I plan on releasing as an SD card image

Debian Squeeze on via SD Card
xfce as the Desktop environment
openFrameworks 007

More to come!

https://yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=bbkxp.jpg&xsize=480&ysize=480

Re: openFrameworks on Chumby 8!

Nice work!

thanks Duane - learned a lot along the way

Is it possible to set up the device to automatically boot from the SD card?

That's what it boots from.  There is nothing else*

* Well, actually, there's a very small bit of Flash but it's just there to boot to the SD card. The processor was designed to boot directly from an SD card, but at the last minute we discovered a bug in the silicon, so we added some Flash to do the first-stage boot.

I guess I mean the secondary SD Card (/mnt/sd)

Ah, no.  I believe that slot is hanging off an internal USB hub (it's like an internal multicard reader).  I'm pretty sure the processor can't boot from that without help.

You might be able to make a bootloader on the internal SD card that gets it far enough to continue the boot from the external SD - I don't think anyone's tried it, so you're in new territory.

Awesome can't wait to try it out! How big is the image? Any work with a boot loader yet?

thanks duane

@phoenixflames I think it is around 3 gigs (I am working off an 8 gig SD card) and no boot loader yet. I'd like to get video/sound checked and working before I put out anything official but anyone is welcome to the rough version - just let me know

got libfreenect (Kinect access) going today smile

http://a.yfrog.com/img741/6526/ra0mh.jpg

Did you do any test regarding to ram usage? And do you have touchscreen support?

touchscreen works - not much ram left (about 20 megs) so I am looking at maybe using something like directfb to remove x11

Hey can you post this to something like sourceforge, I want to try it out.

Hey Duane - you mean Flash ROM correct? (Not Adobe Flash)

Duane wrote:

* Well, actually, there's a very small bit of Flash but it's just there to boot to the SD card. The processor was designed to boot directly from an SD card, but at the last minute we discovered a bug in the silicon, so we added some Flash to do the first-stage boot.

jvc wrote:

Hey Duane - you mean Flash ROM correct? (Not Adobe Flash)

Correct.