Topic: The maximum allowed SharedObject size should be much larger than it is

The value returned by "SharedObject.getMaxSize()" on my chumby is a miserable 4 KiB.  Since my "/tmp/" directory has over 30 MiB of free space, I think it's absolutely crazy that each widget can only use up to 4 KiB for SharedObjects.

I want my widget to store a few small images as SharedObjects to avoid needing to re-download them each time it's run.  Storing them locally means they'll load faster and the server's administrator won't complain much about traffic.

If I store these images within the SWF file itself, this will take its file-size well over the 100 KiB recommended limit.  For these reasons, can the chumby developers please increase the SharedObject size to at least 128 KiB per widget?

Re: The maximum allowed SharedObject size should be much larger than it is

This is an embedded device. The 4K limit for SharedObject is quite typical of a Flash Lite based implementation.

The "/tmp" available size in an illusion - it's RAM-based, and anything stored there steals from system RAM - the more you use, then less is available to the rest of the system.  Use more than a couple of meg, and processes will start to die.

The device only has 64MB of RAM in the first place, so 30MB for /tmp is a fantasy.  Anything larger than a couple of K needs to be stored elsewhere.