Topic: Sad and depressed Chumby doesn't see the light anymore

One of the my Chumby's quit working today.  It seems to maybe have been somewhat gradual.  First it starting sometimes connecting and mostly not connecting to the network via the USB to NIC device.  I tested the power supply to be fine with the other Chumby's.  Today the backlight went out.  I do still see the USB LED on the NIC going on; but no backlight. 

Is it worth fixing or should I just keep it for spare parts?

I waited a bit and plugged in the PS and still do not see a back light.

Any suggestions?

2 (edited by bobsz 2011-11-23 17:51:09)

Re: Sad and depressed Chumby doesn't see the light anymore

My condolences on your Chumby. You might get more help if you also post it someplace like the "Chumby, the Device" forum. Good luck.

Well, I assume it's an Infocast 3.5 device since you're posting in this section.

We don't actually make those - they were made in a factory contracted by Insignia.  We designed the original electronics (it's based on Chumby One), but they did their own thing and used some different components. 

Chumby One devices are hardware versions 10.6 or 10.8, while Insignia devices are 10.7.

I don't know what warranty Insignia offered on these devices, but if it's still covered, I'd try to get it swapped.

4 (edited by pete_c 2011-11-23 22:04:45)

Yes, its an Insignia Infocast 8".

Sad.

I purchased last year for Christmas and the warranty is only for 6 months.

Most likely it'll be a parts backup to the other Infocast 8" devices in the house.  Sad that it lasted less than a year. 

Good though that I only paid like $50 for it; so its kind of a throw away. I did though give one to a friend and set it up in her dental office.  Hopefully that one lasts a bit.