Topic: future hardware suggestion: motion sensor

How about turning off or dimming the screen until motion in front of the Chumby is sensed? Depending upon the range, this could work as a night mode too. -chris

Re: future hardware suggestion: motion sensor

Well the Alpha Chumbies have an ambient light sensor, however it turns out that calibrating those sensors was rather difficult. Perhaps in future revisions this will be added back. Such a sensor could be useful for this (for example, waving your hand in front of the device in the near-dark to wake it up, and putting it to sleep based on a timer/internal clock).

I'd vote this feature down.

A motion sensor (accelerometers like in a Wiimote or MacBook) would be a very neat feature, but only in combination with other spacial type features (e.g. GPS, Anemometer), however I just do not see the point on a device that must be tethered to a power-cable. I'd sooner see Bluetooth support and then you could wirelessly connect to a GPS receiver or even a Wiimote!

Sal

I was referring to motion detection as in ALS, or even infrared or sonar. Awalton got my drift I think. I believe the Chumby already has an accelerometer which is used by certain widgets. -chris