Topic: Chumby 8 not refreshing channels

Hey Folks,

I've been a chumbian for a while now. I had the beanbag chumby, the dash, and now have the chumby 8. The weird thing is my 'default' channel on my chumby 8 is not refreshing. I can tell because I'll look at info from yahooweather, news feeds, etc, and it'll be days old. The only time it'll actually refresh is if I turn the chumby off, and then on again. The default channel automatically reloads and everything is fine.

Since the OS of the chumby 8 doesn't seem to have a reload function (from what I can SEE) I'm kind of at a loss. Any help? Thanks!

2 (edited by SvenC 2011-07-30 11:02:46)

Re: Chumby 8 not refreshing channels

I have the same issue on chumby one since few weeks. I don't know about the problem.
Yesterday, I (re)installed some widgets on my one, but there was a refresh only after panel-change (to beta panel).

Today, I tested something on my new 8 and I saw here the same problem. Problem fixed after panel-reload during device re-starting.

mmh. I deinstalled a clock..then I re-installed the clock but I forgot to change the AM/PM to 24. Change done via web. Update not working. Widget deinstalled via web, update not working (severel times changed the panel / restart / on/off not possible....

very strange....

Is it possible that the other device (chumby 8) is the trouble maker on web? Both devices are activated, but an assignment for the chumby one is linked to the channels for the 8.

We're looking into this - we have a bug filed for this that will get it investigated.

It's very weird that it's suddenly showing up on the C1 too.

4 (edited by joltdude 2011-07-30 12:19:37)

Oddly enough I seem to notice this refresh issue with the Woot app, being a day or two stale.. a simple reboot usually resolves it.. at least for that day.. (Chumby 8).. But right now im having a black screen issue. but CS is sending me a replacement PS for that..

joltdude wrote:

Oddly enough I seem to notice this refresh issue with the Woot app, being a day or two stale.. a simple reboot usually resolves it.. at least for that day.. (Chumby 8).. But right now im having a black screen issue. but CS is sending me a replacement PS for that..

I'm still experiencing the same thing.  It is a real pain having to reboot the device every morning to update everything.  Woot will go for days with the same sale.  Chumby One.

I had posted this same issue on the INFOCAST 8" device with the Chumby 8 firmware.  SOMETHING upstream is caching the data.  Can't figure it out.  If it helps, it seems to be Google news as one app that poops out, any weather app (like the ones that display radar images) and not Twitter or Facebook or Reddit.

Bump ...

I just got my woot-ified Chumby 8 and I'm wondering the same thing about forcing a refresh of the channels/widgets.  I can't seem to make it happen unless I "reset" which really seems like a power on/off button?

I've also tried to update the Chumby 8 to the beta firmware but it didn't seem to take ...

Thanks ... other than these issues I'm digging it!

I got my Chumby 8 about 2 weeks ago and noticed that my AccuWeather widget is not updating unless I reset my Chumby.   Funny thing is, I still have my original Chumby in another location in the house and the AccuWeather widget updates fine on that.

smpcorp wrote:
joltdude wrote:

I'm still experiencing the same thing.  It is a real pain having to reboot the device every morning to update everything.  Woot will go for days with the same sale.  Chumby One.

you should be able to just reload the channel, much faster than rebooting.  yeah, I know, it's a workaround for a bug that should be fixed... I've had the same problem on my c1 for ages.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Was this ever fixed?  This is what my current C8 is doing.  I would hate to cancel my subscription, but it is worthless right now.  None of my widgets are updating.  Can someone please help?

it seems to work on my c8.

more investigation will be needed.

I suggest sending an email to support@chumby.com with details of the issue, as well as your chumby userid.

we'll get it figured out. smile

and, by 'we' I mostly mean Duane big_smile

diamaunt wrote:

it seems to work on my c8.

more investigation will be needed.

I suggest sending an email to support@chumby.com with details of the issue, as well as your chumby userid.

we'll get it figured out. smile

and, by 'we' I mostly mean Duane big_smile

I sent an email to Duane and he said he would try and look at it this weekend.  I was just fishing to see if I could find some help.  Can you tell me what your Control Panel, Software and Hardware versions are?  Maybe I have some rogue software on my C8.

kgeissler wrote:

I sent an email to Duane and he said he would try and look at it this weekend.  I was just fishing to see if I could find some help.  Can you tell me what your Control Panel, Software and Hardware versions are?  Maybe I have some rogue software on my C8.

I checked your c8 in the database and compared your hw, sw versions to mine, they're the same.

my cp is 5.0.38b1,
sw: 1.8.2
fw: 1.8.3883
hw: 9.9 (which just means it's a c8)

diamaunt wrote:
kgeissler wrote:

I checked your c8 in the database and compared your hw, sw versions to mine, they're the same.

my cp is 5.0.38b1,
sw: 1.8.2
fw: 1.8.3883
hw: 9.9 (which just means it's a c8)

Ok... Could it be a router problem blocking something? They refresh once every time I power on my chumby.  Any other ideas?

when you say 'none of my widgets are updating', do you mean the old faithful vec webcam, the digital clock, yahoo weather, or the picassa web album?

are they cycling, or stuck on one?

diamaunt wrote:

when you say 'none of my widgets are updating', do you mean the old faithful vec webcam, the digital clock, yahoo weather, or the picassa web album?

are they cycling, or stuck on one?

Both the Old Faithful Cam and the Yahoo Weather.  Plus on my other channel Accuweather.   The widgets cycle fine, they just never update.  The weather on both Yahoo and Accuweather are 3 days old (unless I reboot my chumby, in which, they will update once, then be stop refreshing)  The Old Faithful Cam has also had the same picture for the last 3 days.

The Digital Clock and Picasa are both working fine.

I'll pay more attention to mine.

check out Duane's NOAA weather, it's working great.

I had tried the NOAA app before, but it kept asking for my zip code everytime the widget loaded.  I did try it again today and it does the same thing.  I have seen other people complaining about this bug.  sad

diamaunt wrote:

I'll pay more attention to mine.

check out Duane's NOAA weather, it's working great.

well, of course, now the trick is to figure out why some are  asking for the zip, and most are not.

I created a new channel on the website the other day and added several widgets including the NOAA one, but whenever I click the Configure link for that widget and enter my ZIP I get a server error. I have another channel from way before the hiatus (what do we call that period, the dark ages?) which already knows my ZIP and works fine. That may be a clue to investigating the issue...

Yeah that's probably a good clue. I actually think I may have a theory....

Duane wrote:

Yeah that's probably a good clue. I actually think I may have a theory....

Duane... Do you think your theory would also explain why the other Widgets are not refreshing?

No, I think that's something peculiar to the C8 Control Panel

Duane, don't mean to be a pest,  but any idea how we can fix the refresh problem?  Anything I can try to see if I can get it working?

Another data point: my widgets (Yahoo Weather, Local Weather Radar, and URL Image are updating successfully, but I have the same problem with the NOAA Weather app: when I install it in a new channel,  every time it comes on when its turn comes up, it asks for a ZIP code. Another wrinkle: on another channel, which has the NOAA Weather app from a previous install years ago, it comes up every time preloaded with the ZIP code I had loaded it with those years ago.