Topic: Where Will Widgets Live?

So will all Chumby Widgets live on the Chumb.com website? I would like to build custom widgets for my own use. My widgets would not be usefull to, or apeal to anyone outside of my own company. So is there a way to point Chumby to a priviate web server? If we had a browser Chumby could go to any URL  programed with Chumby friendly HTML or Flash. I have an iPhone and there are hundreds of Widgets being created for the iPhone and all you need to do is point it to a URL designed to display content on the iPhone. I picture Chumby doing this but do not see a way at present. Will there be a browser comming to Cumby?

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Where Will Widgets Live?

There are a few options:

1) When you upload a widget of your own, by default, it's private, which means that nobody else can see and select that widget.  You have to give us explicit permission to make a widget public. You can, however, send that widget to your "chums", which are people who have given you permission to send them widgets.

2) With an upcoming firmware release, you can put a widget on a USB dongle, along with a little XML, and that widget can be mixed in automatically with the widgets that come from our server.

3) You can put a little script on a USB dongle and run your widget entirely locally, without your device ever hitting our server.

We are experimenting with widgets being hosted anywhere - you'd be able to supply a URL rather than upload the widget to our server - however, that will probably not be supported for "public" widgets due to security and availability considerations.

We don't currently have any specific plans for a full web browser to be available on the chumby.

Re: Where Will Widgets Live?

If we get a vote... then I vote for #2 and #3 for the very next firmware release. PLEASE!