Topic: Replace Insiginia "Please wait" boot screen

I've figured out how to replace the initial boot screen and the loading flash, but there's still an Insignia "Please wait" green screen (non-animated) that shows about 2 to 4 seconds after the initial boot screen. I've searched every file on the device, and I think this is actually encoded in the kernel? Is there any way to replace the image with something different? Perhaps using the configtool?

Re: Replace Insiginia "Please wait" boot screen

There are numerous boot images, some in /boot (loaded by u-boot), some in /bitmap (loaded by imgtool), and two in the kernel itself (linux logo support). Plus there is a flash preloader in /usr/widgets.
The only option for the kernel logo is to recompile the kernel. If you are doing that on the device itself you will need a swap partition as GCC struggles with converting large char arrays (800x600x3).

Yeah, I was just hoping there was a way to change the kernel ones without a recompile. From the other threads I've seen on this forum, people seem to be having trouble compiling the BB8 kernel and the only thing I wanted to change was the image and nothing else about the kernel itself.

If you know what you are doing, you could probably change them with a hex editor. It is not for the faint of heart though, and you will need to find the offsets for the images and palette within the kernel.  (Did I mention that its a 224 color bitmap?)  It can be a pain to generate a logo that looks decent with only 224 colors.  Knowing your way around photoshop or the gimp helps.