Topic: Anyone have problems connecting to any wireless network

My new 3.5 Infocast doesn't see any networks.  It is right next to the Access Point for my loca network and all of my other devices can see the network, just not the Infocast.  It doesn't see any of the other networks the other devices can see either.

Any ideas?

Re: Anyone have problems connecting to any wireless network

As an experiment, have you tried moving it to a different location? (Moving it to a different location will force a reboot, which would have been my second suggestion.)

Traveller wrote:

My new 3.5 Infocast doesn't see any networks.  It is right next to the Access Point for my loca network and all of my other devices can see the network, just not the Infocast.  It doesn't see any of the other networks the other devices can see either.

Any ideas?

Please contact Insignia support at http://insignia.chumby.com/pages/help_support and they will assist you

Trying again after a power cycle worked.

I had put it back in the box to deal with later.  I had also manually configured the local network SSID/PSK.

When I plugged it back together, I was taken directly to the Activation process.

All good now.

I was replacing a router for reasons unrelated to my infocast (3.5).  The infocast was working fine on the "old" DLink 632 router.  After replacing the router with a DLink 825, I had a heck of a time getting the two infocasts I own to work.  Sometimes they would connect.  Most times not.  Sometimes they would not see any network.  Other times they would.

As a point of comparison, I have about eight other wireless devices throughout the house, including a Sony dash.  All connected to the new router without problem, at all points throughout the house. 

After too many hours trying different things with the infocast and router settings, I was able to get both to work.  I am still not sure which changes I made were the ones that solved the problem.  At this point, I have the old router networked to the new, with both wireless systems active.  One infocast is linked to the new, one to the old. 

My perception after all this is that the infocast is not an especially good reciever of wifi.  While I have purchased the hottest wireless router I could find, and most other devices show a good signal strength throughout the house, the infocast shows a low signal strength when moved more than a room away from the transmitter.

GeeWizz, I got my 3.5 inch to link up no problems!  But my 8 inch Insignia has failed to link as of yet.  Does it work?  I am sure.  I could link it up to my "less secure" wifi box which only requires a short password.  But let me tell you - the Insignia IS NOT DESIGNED to make entering a 64 hex number easy.  Actually, I would try and do this BEFORE a firmware upgrade!!!  As off the shelf, you can at least see the number you have entered!  After the upgrade - the numbers are turned into asterisk making it nearly impossible to double check your entries!!!!! On top of all that, there is no "hex" keyboard or even a keyboard that has both letters and numbers!!!  You have to switch back and forth!!!  Be careful, I'm on my third time and I still haven't gotten it to work!!!

I'm starting to get suspicious the wifi application is broken as it appears (so far) lower case letter do not work.

Does anyone know if the 8 inch Insignia accepts a 64 hex number like the 3.5 inch Insignia does????

-thanks for any help, any at all

Failed to connect again...  I'm going to start a new thread as I see this as an real and unrelated problem.

oberkc wrote:

I was replacing a router for reasons unrelated to my infocast (3.5).  The infocast was working fine on the "old" DLink 632 router.  After replacing the router with a DLink 825, I had a heck of a time getting the two infocasts I own to work.  Sometimes they would connect.  Most times not.  Sometimes they would not see any network.  Other times they would.

As a point of comparison, I have about eight other wireless devices throughout the house, including a Sony dash.  All connected to the new router without problem, at all points throughout the house. 

After too many hours trying different things with the infocast and router settings, I was able to get both to work.  I am still not sure which changes I made were the ones that solved the problem.  At this point, I have the old router networked to the new, with both wireless systems active.  One infocast is linked to the new, one to the old. 

My perception after all this is that the infocast is not an especially good reciever of wifi.  While I have purchased the hottest wireless router I could find, and most other devices show a good signal strength throughout the house, the infocast shows a low signal strength when moved more than a room away from the transmitter.

@oberkc, I have a similar set up. We have a D-Link 802.11n router which works fine with every other wireless device in the house, including laptops and a Sony Dash. The Dash has never had a wireless problem. Yet the 3.5" Infocast Chumby I just got will not connect to the network at least 50% of the time. Even when the signal says it's near 100% on the Infocast. Rebooting works about 75% of the time, then multiple reboots will fix it if the first reboot does not.

I may also try the dual wi-fi router set up to see if it works better on an older 802.11g Netgear router vs. the newer D-Link 802.11n router.

I got the Infocast 3.5" on sale for $40 at Best Buy, so i guess I got what I paid for: a poor man's Sony Dash. :-)

Is the Chumby network having trouble this week?

I got my new Infocast to work finally, and the connection seems strong now. However, the Sony Dash I've had for eight months with no issues is having trouble connecting to the network and Chumby service.

Is this a Chumby network problem or a local LAN problem? Both my Infocast and Dash are getting IP addresses from the network (I can verify on the router). Signal strength is strong for both devices, according to the router. But only the Infocast is connecting to Chumby, while the Dash is not.

My Infocast 3.5" is having similar issues.  Sometimes it connects, sometimes not.  I manually entered  the SSID and that seemed to help.  The the unit was accidentally unplugged and did not connect on reboot.

Not sure what's going on, when it does connect the signal shows as very strong.