Topic: Infocast 8" on sale for $79.99

The Infocast 8" is now on sale for $79.99 instore at Bestbuy.

Re: Infocast 8" on sale for $79.99

So, anybody successfully received a credit for the difference between the black friday price and this new lower one?

I bought mine a couple days ago, but I'm gonna go in to price match tomorrow for $99. It shouldn't be an issue. Also anyone who picked one up on or after November 1st could go in and price match as well because of the holiday return period. (FWIW I work for Best Buy)

Hi - I am totally brand new to both Chumby & Infocast but I saw the Best Buy deal and have been researching it ... and it seems great, if it really is possible to use as a web browser.

Does anyone have any feedback about someone like me (zero knowledge of product or this os - AND WHO IS TOTALLY POOR AND CAN'T AFFORD ANY OTHER DEVICE (similar or not - there is nothing at this price point anywhere) ...

Can I actually use the 'lazy' method of downloading the file, using a flash drive, and getting the web browser hack to work without any more tech knowledge needed?

I have home dsl with a wireless N Router that works great (but I don't understand it - it just works).

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Also, is Best Buy really 'cool' about returns ... or do they try to find a reason not to take it back (if I end up not liking it).

thanks!

This was posted already. Please use the search before reposting.

I bought the BB8 online on Black Friday and picked up in-store for $99.  Today I called Best Buy customer service and they gave me the $20 difference on my credit card.

Here's the email I received within minutes of getting off the phone:

A credit in the amount of $20.00 has been applied to the order you placed on 11/26/2010. You are receiving this credit because of a price difference.

Get more information on this order by checking your order status.

You can also call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) with any questions.

For faster service, tell us the order number when you contact us.

Thank You.
Best Buy Customer Care

Thanks for the 800 number. Gonna call and get my $20 credit.

Hmmm.... Why is the price so low?  Are they getting ready to dump this?

Also, I believe the Infocast 3.5" is down another $10 to $39.99, at least in-store.

infocasty wrote:

Also, I believe the Infocast 3.5" is down another $10 to $39.99, at least in-store.

Just picked one up at a Maryland store, where it was still $49.99.  I also bought an 8" model - but found that it has a lot of shortcomings, so it will likely go back.  No ability to stream local music, no ability to view a slideshow of pictures from a network drive, not working with a Twonky server on my NAS.

3.5 is back up to 99.99 and 8 is up to 169.99. Yikes! Go figure.

Thanks for posting this. I bought one last week and called yesterday to get the $20 price match. Just in time, apparently. smile

I'm glad the price went back up!  I bought one of each size on sale and had been debating actually getting another...  Maybe one for the kitchen, or for the office, or maybe one to not care if I break it while hacking...  If I'd seen they really had dropped the 3.5" to 39.99 that would've pushed me over the edge.

Ah man, I can't believe I missed the $39.99 on the 3.5"!  I already had one price adjusted down from the Black Friday price, and then bought another for $49.99.
Guess I'll need to log on more often!

happyshow wrote:

This was posted already. Please use the search before reposting.

Since we're being sticklers for form, please quote the post you're responding to so that the auth knows whom you are addressing.

15 (edited by nolanjurgens 2010-12-16 15:57:59)

joninla wrote:

Also, is Best Buy really 'cool' about returns ... or do they try to find a reason not to take it back (if I end up not liking it)!

We get stuff returned all the time that people just decide they didn't want.  There shouldn't be any issue. They may ask you if there was anything wrong w/ it, but that's just because some items are sold as "Open Box" (probably not the case for an Infocast though) and we need to know if it's there's an issue that needs to be fixed at a service center before we put it back on the sales floor. If they're really on task they might offer to match you with a sales person who can help you find something more to your liking, but they're just trying to be helpful for you and to "save a sale" for us and a simple "No thanks" is good enough to have them process the return. Right now it's the holiday return period, so you have til January 31st, 2011 to figure out if you like it or not.

I bought my 8" infocast "open box" Took a while to figure out how to activate it but i finally managed it. I can only assume that meant the previous owner either didn't get it activated or was kind enough to deactivate it before returning it. 10 bucks is 10 bucks!

17 (edited by oberkc 2010-12-17 05:41:57)

It is because of the return policy (among other reasons) of Best Buy that I am a fan and loyal customer.  I returned (reluctantly) an infocast 3.5 without problem or questions asked.  I simply decided that, despite my unfulfilled expectations, I still prefered the sony dash.   

Ironically, when the small infocast went on sale, I bought two, after having returned the original unit purchased at $100.  It was tough to turn down at the sale price and I could justify the expense for use in other parts of the house.

The price is back down again to $49.99 for 3.5 and $99.99 for the 8" model.  I have both, and still evaluating them, and it appears that 8" is very much crippled as compared to 3.5"  Does anyone know if it's possible to 3.5" software on an 8" device?

mmeytin wrote:

The price is back down again to $49.99 for 3.5 and $99.99 for the 8" model.  I have both, and still evaluating them, and it appears that 8" is very much crippled as compared to 3.5"  Does anyone know if it's possible to 3.5" software on an 8" device?

Good question. Was thinking the same thing.

moreace wrote:
mmeytin wrote:

Good question. Was thinking the same thing.

From what I understand the hardware is significantly different so I doubt a software swap would be possible.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

No one has ever mentioned there being incompatibilities as the reason for the neutered music options, only that it was a decision of Best Buy.

22 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2010-12-17 10:27:59)

roryhawke wrote:

No one has ever mentioned there being incompatibilities as the reason for the neutered music options, only that it was a decision of Best Buy.

I have a Chumby one and an Infocast 8 and I must say I think the Chumby one is more useful to me even with the smaller screen. I wish Chumby had come out with the larger screen unit themselves. Users of the Sony Dash and the Infocasts are at the mercy of Sony/Insignia.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
roryhawke wrote:

I have a Chumby one and an Infocast 8 and I must say I think the Chumby one is more useful to me even with the smaller screen. I wish Chumby had come out with the larger screen unit themselves. Users of the Sony Dash and the Infocasts are at the mercy of Sony/Insignia.

I only have the Insignia 8", so it's my only point of reference. What are the major difference that gives the Chumby such a favorable advantage?

I only have the Insignia 8", so it's my only point of reference. What are the major difference that gives the Chumby such a favorable advantage?

From what I understand there's more music options, timed events (like going into night mode at a certain time), sleep timers for music, and probably more. Just had an update come up for my BB8 so hopefully that list just got shorter.

nolanjurgens wrote:

Just had an update come up for my BB8 so hopefully that list just got shorter.

Not seeing any new features right away.  Is there update details somewhere?