Topic: 3.5" Super sale (closeout?)

Just an information post, the 3.5" is now down to $50. I just bought a couple for future hacking.

Re: 3.5" Super sale (closeout?)

Woah!  Thanks for the heads up.  I see the 8" is on sale for $100 also.  Going to pick up a 3.5" tomorrow, can't go wrong at that price.

3 (edited by PlugNickel 2010-12-03 13:39:57)

Thanks for the heads up ecurtz.
I was in town today and picked up another one....of course I actually don't -need- another one...but it's a deal no?
It even cost me only twenty dollars because I dug out an old store credit that was collecting lint in my wallet and used it ;-)

I've been eyeing this for a few weeks now...$50 for the 3.5" infocast made be pull the trigger!

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up!  I went today and received a price-match for the one I bought last week for $79, and then went and bought another one for me!! (1st one is for my daughter).

Forgive the newbie question (actually if there's an existing thread just point me toward it), but what is the difference between the newest 3.5" chumby and the 3.5" Infocast?  Well, other then the obvious $80 verses $50 current price tag.

-thanks

The "Chumby One" is manufactured by Chumby Industries, while the Insignia Infocast 3.5 is licensed to Insignia and is manufactured and distributed by them.

The electronics are very similar - the Insignia device uses a couple of different components.  The biggest difference from a hardware standpoint is that the Chumby One supports a optional user-supplied battery, and the Insignia 3.5 doesn't support a battery at all.

The software differences are very minor - the Chumby One has some support for iPods that is disabled in the Insignia device, and there are some changes to some of the graphics.

Otherwise, it's really all about the style and fit-and-finish.  Obviously, given the heavy discounting, the Insignia device is very attractive at the moment.

Duane wrote:

...The electronics are very similar...The software differences are very minor.

I'll get to the point.  I'm not really all that interested in the stock software unless it is amazing.  I would like to tap into my existing network.  That currently is a mythtv back end, a squeezecenter server and a PNP server (which is really part of mythtv).

I hear a lot of things about how hackable the Chumby One is.  What I want to know is if the Insignia is as well.  From your explanation, it sounds like the software is interchangeable.  That is, if the Insignia software closes anything down, I can just start over using the Chumby One software on the Insignia box.

Anyone reading this thread is probably thinking along similar lines.  That is, what does $30 buy you.  And if it isn't that much, then why not go w/the Insignia talked about here in this thread.

-thanks

Yes, that's correct. - for the purposes you've listed, they should be interchangeable.

They're on sale again for $50.

3.5" is $39 again

8" is down to $68 too.  If it wasn't the day after Christmas, i'd go and get a price match for the two 3.5" I purchased for $49.

Lots of activity/discussion in the Slickdeals forums on these devices.  I pointed them over here to learn. A few dopy postings be people who don't want to inform themselves.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2515203