Topic: Release Notes - Control Panel Beta v2.8.74

Please note - this beta release is for the chumby one only

Steps to download Beta Control Panel v2.8.74:

1. Login to your account at www.chumby.com

2. Click on the "Adventurous? Try the new Beta Software" link below the chumby dashboard on the left-hand side of the screen

3. From the 'Select a control panel' drop-down menu select 'Control Panel Beta'

4. Reboot your chumby

The chumby will automatically download the Beta Control Panel after it boots.

* If you are running a previous beta, simply reboot your chumby to download the new version.

Release notes:

Version: 2.8.74
Release Date: 12/1/10

1) Addresses numerous alarm issues
       a) rescheduling of single music-only alarms
       b) redundant execution of pre- and post- alarm actions
       c) better handling of some alarm failure modes in streaming audio

2) Fixes backwards compatibility of USB music alarms
       a) will search for music if path not specified or missing
       b) rings built-in alarm if no music found at all.

Re: Release Notes - Control Panel Beta v2.8.74

Just rebooted -- I'm set to always get the beta control panel, though I don't see an obvious way of verifying the control panel version.

No apparent change in the brightness problem.  I still cannot get back to "normal" brightness after night mode without touching the day brightness slider.

Y000 wrote:

No apparent change in the brightness problem.  I still cannot get back to "normal" brightness after night mode without touching the day brightness slider.

That was not changed, because the current behavior is technically correct.  I'm talking with Product Management about how to address it.

Can you expound on this?  This was not the behavior I saw prior to the most recent update.  Thanks.

The prior versions were wrong.  The current behavior is correct.

However, it's apparent that people seem to prefer the older, wrong, behavior, so we're talking about it internally.  The problem is that for every one that thins the screen should go bright, there's another that thinks it should stay dim.

I'm having some issues here.

If I reboot the Chumby One, it always boots back into night mode with the screen off.

If I touch the screen to turn the brightness off in night mode, I now have to tap it twice.

To get it back to full daylight mode I have to tap the screen a few times - and the top button seems non responsive..

OK, I'll spend some time with this issue.

After the update to 2.8.74 on chumby one the display is flickering. I'll reboot the chumby tomorrow when I've time to check it again.

Interesting feature.. When chumby goes into night mode with the beta CP enabled.. you can see the Beta overlay in the clock digits wink

Not really a bug, or a feature, just a curiosity.

10 (edited by joltdude 2010-12-03 21:57:09)

Duane wrote:

The prior versions were wrong.  The current behavior is correct.

However, it's apparent that people seem to prefer the older, wrong, behavior, so we're talking about it internally.  The problem is that for every one that thins the screen should go bright, there's another that thinks it should stay dim.

I wonder if you could have an alternate set of "night mode" alarm events that behaved the "wrong way".. Call it night mode alternate or something like that... or Night mode (remain dim), and Night mode (brighten on awaken)

Will you please enable the 2.8.74 beta for the Classics?  I need to test my alarm problem.

From night mode, on my chumby one, i also need to tap DARK twice to get it to switch the screen off..

Plank wrote:

Will you please enable the 2.8.74 beta for the Classics?  I need to test my alarm problem.

It's now on my chumby classic. Has the red beta watermark.

Dearly love a kernel and wifi driver update so it plays better with openwrt

The issue I'm seeing with Dark mode appears to be different, but may be related. I have a "Dark" event set for 11pm. If the Chumby is in dark mode (dim, with clock displayed) when the event occurs, it switches to "Normal" mode. If it's in Normal mode, it switches to dark.

This may have been reported in another thread, apologies if it's a dupe. I would've expected to see it in this thread, too.

It seems that the 2.8.74 control panel makes audio skip.
When using 2.8.73, audio streams (my streams or Pandora) work perfectly.  Under 2.8.74, I get sporadic stuttering with no discernible triggering action (whether applets are switching or in the control panel settings, everything).

AndySocial wrote:

It seems that the 2.8.74 control panel makes audio skip.
When using 2.8.73, audio streams (my streams or Pandora) work perfectly.  Under 2.8.74, I get sporadic stuttering with no discernible triggering action (whether applets are switching or in the control panel settings, everything).

I am a new Chumby herder (I got two, thought only one is currently configured) and it worked for the first two days.  This morning I added a bunch of apps to my Default channel and when I went to look at the Chumby, it had a blank screen.  It reboots, and after saying "loading control panel" it goes blank again.

I have submitted a support request email, but this blank-screen behavior seems similar to what was reported early in this thread.  Additional notes: I was trying the Beta control panel; it worked last night.  Reverting and rebooting doesn't seem to help, however.

I have tried to reduce my Default channel's app count, and I also tried a different channel with just 4 simple apps.  Still getting the blank screen after boot.

uncleop wrote:

This morning I added a bunch of apps to my Default channel and when I went to look at the Chumby, it had a blank screen.  It reboots, and after saying "loading control panel" it goes blank again.

Are you sure it's not blanking the screen due to "night mode" being enabled?  My wife's Chumby One turned on yesterday and flipped to night mode as soon as it was initialized, which is about completely black in a well-lit room.  If you tap the screen to bring it back to daytime mode, that's the issue.

Also, it's possible to set the brightness of normal mode to be far too dark (yes, the wife again). In that case, hold a finger to the screen while turning on the Chumby and you'll get the option to reset the device.

Yeah, this looks like the screen has been set to "off", probably by an alarm, or by setting the device to "dim", with the brightness all the way off.  Go into special options, reset to factory, then look at your alarms.

The screen setting is designed to survive reboots and is enforce by the Control Panel once it's booted.

Duane wrote:

Yeah, this looks like the screen has been set to "off", probably by an alarm, or by setting the device to "dim", with the brightness all the way off.  Go into special options, reset to factory, then look at your alarms.

The screen setting is designed to survive reboots and is enforce by the Control Panel once it's booted.

Umm, the problem of course is that a) it's completely dark/black and b) the screen doesn't come back on even when I hit the button on the top.  So that makes it REALLY hard to navigate the touch screen.

Is there a sequence that doesn't require the touch screen for resetting the device?

My other Chumby - which I registered last night - is doing fine so far.

Yes the other option is to create a USB dongle with the following file:

#!/bin/sh
rm /psp/dimlevel

..with UNIX-style line endings, and booting with it.

The problem here is that there's no good answer about what to do - either you want your brightness and dimness settings saved across boots, in whcih case you run the rick of setting it too low, or you *don't* save across reboots and the user has to set it every time.  The device has no way to know whether you can see anything on the display - there's variation among the devices so that the same brightness value on two devices would be different.

One alternative is to force the user through a calibration exercise on initial startup - however, the device would still be subject to the quality of the calibration.

Duane wrote:

Yes the other option is to create a USB dongle with the following file:

#!/bin/sh
rm /psp/dimlevel

..with UNIX-style line endings, and booting with it.

Thanks for your prompt response.  What should the name of the file be? 

Note that I tried an nmap of my network to search for the IP address provided by my network to the Chumby, but it didn't seem to show up, and of course I hadn't written down the last address I saw for it.  So I was at a loss to ssh in.

The problem here is that there's no good answer about what to do - either you want your brightness and dimness settings saved across boots, in whcih case you run the rick of setting it too low, or you *don't* save across reboots and the user has to set it every time.  The device has no way to know whether you can see anything on the display - there's variation among the devices so that the same brightness value on two devices would be different.

One alternative is to force the user through a calibration exercise on initial startup - however, the device would still be subject to the quality of the calibration.

BUT here's the rub: when I press that top button that is supposed to give me the control panel, IMO I should *always* be able to see something.  But in this case, nada.  And that is easily classed as a "UI failing" if nothing else.

Sorry - the name of the file should be "debugchumby".

As to the top button - what about hitting the top button at night?  Should it go full bright and blind you?  Again, keep in mind I don't know what level of brightness is dim but still visible - we rely on the customer setting a reasonable level.

Duane wrote:

Great! I'll give that a try when I'm next near the little fella'.

As to the top button - what about hitting the top button at night?  Should it go full bright and blind you?  Again, keep in mind I don't know what level of brightness is dim but still visible - we rely on the customer setting a reasonable level.

Ah, but - from a fellow software engineer - we also know the value of preventing the customer from shooting themselves (unnecessarily) in the foot.

So: the prescribed behavior that I have read of for the top  button is, "turn on the control panel".  Whether this is done "cleverly" so the user isn't blinded at 3am or not doesn't matter, since right now a user (me) has what otherwise appears to be a dead device.  Now if I had been hacking it outside of the Chumby-approved methods, I would be getting what I deserve, perhaps.  But, aside from using the Beta Control Panel, I have done nothing other than stock actions.

Just sayin'.  But I've only been doing this type of stuff for a little over three decades...

(more seriously - in a product that was running embedded linux on a printer, we went around the bend on backlight issues. so I know it's non-trivial, but I also know that a Reasonable Person can come up with something that works.  I've also watch my aging TomTom Go fail to discern day from night when auto-changing its background...)

uncleop wrote:
Duane wrote:

Great! I'll give that a try when I'm next near the little fella'.

Yay!  That seems to have cleared up that little issue.  I took a leap and just pulled the flash drive out after things were working.  We'll see how that does across the next reboot.

Unfortunately, while simple for a techie , this doesn't pass the Aunt Mildred test.

Hello uncleop,
This has happened to me many times…
If the screen has somehow come up too dim to see, you could do the debugchumby trick…or, you could do what I usually do; shine a flashlight on the screen at about a forty five degree angle and (at least it works for me) you should see the screen well enough (though still very dim) to option through to the screen brightness settings to click the bright mode slider so you can see the screen.

I don’t know why it sometimes does this…though usually it happens after a reboot -without- my having changed any of the brightness settings.
I don't know why it sometimes does this, though I have looked at the dim and bright files and the values they contain are fine and doesn't explain the dark screen...

Anyway, I find the flashlight to be faster then rebooting with a thumb drive.
But yes, it would be nice if the control panel would launch with a fixed brightness…say 80% then go back to the set point (either old or new if you changed it) when closed.