1 (edited by PlugNickel 2010-10-31 08:35:59)

Topic: 3.5" Infocast too bright!

Hello,
I have recently purchased an Infocast 3.5” and it’s keeping my wife up at night because the screen at its darkest setting still lights up the room.
I know that I can go to “night mode”, but then all I can view on the screen is a clock and not my widget.
I understand that this 3.5” Infocast is basically a Chumby One…is there any software / hardware hack that will allow either a lower backlight setting or perhaps a software hack that gets rid of the “night mode” clock and allows my widget to display in “night mode”?

Please help…my wife is gonna throw it out the window unless I can display my widget at a lower brightness…

Re: 3.5" Infocast too bright!

There are some differences in the electronics in this device vs, the Chumby One, and one of the differences is that there's a *lot* of variation in the brightness behavior across devices.  Most of them are actually too dark - it appears you got one that's too bright for a given setting.

I'll see what I can to in the Control Panel to address this.

Please confirm, though - is the brightness level of Night Mode acceptable, or can you adjust it to a level that's acceptable?

Thanks Duane,
Yes, the brightness level of the Night Mode seems to have the ability to darken enough…but, I can’t be certain since the night clock that is displayed in this mode doesn’t have a lot of “white” space.

I’ll look at this again after I reassemble the Infocast...I had hoped it would be obvious where the LED connections were so I could put a resistor in series…but alas it’s not so obvious ;-)

Yes, the Night Mode brightness slider will dim the screen all the way to "black"but all the way to the darkest setting, the Day Mode will still light up the room at night.

It's not a matter of inserting a resistor - the brightness is done by using a pulse width modulator.  In other words, it's turned on and off quickly - the proportions of the cycle where it's on or off controls the level of brightness.

6 (edited by PlugNickel 2010-10-31 11:08:59)

Hello Duane,
Yep, I knew it was PWM, but thought that if I could reduce the voltage/current in each pulse (resistor) that it might dim the display accordingly.

That aside, I did find something interesting though…
Even though the Day Mode brightness control is at its lowest setting (and too bright), I wondered what would happen if I set an alarm to set the brightness to “dim”.

You know what?
It dimmed the screen even further than the slider would dim it…about half again as bright.

So…you can dim it a lot further, but not with the slider.

It would be nice if the slider had a lower brightness setting, but for now I just set an alarm to dim the screen at night and another to set it to bright during the day.

The alarm "dim" is based on the value of the "Night Mode" slider.

That's good to know. So I guess in a fashion, I can use the Night Mode brightness setting for my widget and get a darker screen.

Thanks Duane :-)

Yeah that should hold you until I get the slider range adjusted in the Control Panel.

Just loaded the latest software update...

Thanks Duane.

I have a problem with my new Infocast 3.5, in that the night brighness slider does not "Stick".

The slider is at 50%. If I slide it to 25%, then exit settings, then return, the slider has returned to the 50% mark.

Interestingly, if I slide to 0% (off), that sticks. However, when something is dimly visible, and you exit settings, the slider returns back to 50%.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Firmware is at 1.0.3454.

Thanks

Odd...mine started doing the same thing today.

I looked at mine some more this morning. Even though the slider seems to usually want to return to the mid position, the actual setting seems to be saved in the daymode or nightmode settings.
So, at least for me it seems that it's just a glitch with the slider control reading and displaying it's current position from the file (s).

Must of been that way all along and I didn't notice...

On mine, it does not seem to save the actual setting. I am trying to dim the nightmode, but it always returns to the original setting, unless I dim it to the level that the screen is off.

I'll look into this.