Topic: The new 3.5" InfoCast

I just got the new 3.5" InfoCast yesterday. It does not seem to recognize or run our GreenTyme Circa-Med Flash app off of the same USB drive which DOES successfully run our app on the 8" InfoCase. :-(

Also: the 3.5"'s button on the top of the device almost never gets me to the 3.5's control panel.  And after loading a private copy of our Circa-Med on Chumby's server for deliver for my 3.5's default channel, the unit does not display my default channel.

Has anyone else had some of the above problems?

Regards, Yale

Re: The new 3.5" InfoCast

The Infocast 3.5" is nearly identical from a software standpoint to the Chumby One, not the Infocast 8".

I don't know what to tell you about the top button - the industrial design (including the action of the top button) is Insignia's design, not ours.  We designed the electronics and, of course, the firmware.

I've finally got a production unit (I went to the local BBY and picked one up this morning), so I'll see if my device has the same issues as yours.

As to your widget - if you specified that it *required* an 800x600 display when you uploaded it, it would not be delivered to this device.

I was reading specifications on it and it  says it can wake up alarm sound from internet radio. Is there anyway we can see what the controlpanel looks like?

The software (including the Control Panel) is the same as Chumby One, though it's a couple of versions newer.

Improvements include totally revamped UI and functionality for the FM radio (including international support) and USB music.

We'll be doing a firmware update to Chumby One to bring them into parity.

OK thanks for the quick reply, I might buy it now, but waiting to see if any the hacks works and waiting for more product knowledge on the forum. Can't wait!

Duane wrote:

The software (including the Control Panel) is the same as Chumby One, though it's a couple of versions newer.

Improvements include totally revamped UI and functionality for the FM radio (including international support) and USB music.

We'll be doing a firmware update to Chumby One to bring them into parity.

Hi Duane, thanks for your responses. Our Circa-Med app works flawlessly on my C1 from your server and from my USB drive, and also on my 8" InfoCast from your server and from my other USB drive (with a different way of invoking our app.) I am going to replace my new 3.5 with a newer one tomorrow and see if the problems are a result of just some HW or SW glitch.

Warmest regards, Yale

Please email the name of your private widget and I'll try it on my unit.

8 (edited by YaleGreenTyme 2010-11-05 15:30:15)

Duane wrote:

Please email the name of your private widget and I'll try it on my unit.

Hi, Duane. As I mentioned in the email to you, our Flash app can be found at http://Circa-Med.org/circa-med.swf

Since writing to you I replaced my original InfoCast 3.5 with a new one. And I have limited trsting to just getting our Circa-Med app running on my InfoCast 3.5 off of your servers. I CAN run most apps on my IC3.5 off your servers, but not mine, even when I upload it with the 320x... option. But my app DOES work off the web and also off an USB drive on my c1 and my InfoCast 8". Please also note that while trying to, but not completing, running my C-M app on the 3.5, it now does allow me to get back to the home control panel. Also: someone in the Wireless support group at Insignia told me yesterday that some other folks were having a problem similar to mine on the new InfoCast 3.5, and that they were awaiting a firmware fix? Is that true, and and if so, any estimated time of arrival.

Per our GreenTyme.org's "changing the world for the better, one biological clock at a time" mission, we would like to have our InfoSync 3.5's available for donations as soon as possible before the Christmas Holidays begin, as a lower cost alternative to our InfoSync 8's is very much needed. Btw, by putting cute star, sun and moon stickers on C1's we already do have a very cute "Kid's Clock" Synclechum, which children of all ages seem to LOVE!

But we really do also need the InfoCast 3.5 option. :-(  Warmest regards, Yale

I have not seen the 3.5" Infocast. I have a Chumby one and an 8" Infocast. They are very different beasts and I use them differently. I am interested in knowing what the differences are between the 3.5" Infocast and the Chumby one. Why would someone buy one over the other?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The Infocast 3.5 and Chumby One are nearly identical except for the appearance, however, the Insignia does not support a battery.

You can see what the Insignia device looks like by searching for "NS-DP3CH" on Best Buy's website.

Some people might prefer the different appearance, and of course these are available at retail in Best Buy's stores.

There are some slight differences in the electronics - for instance, it uses a difference touchscreen.

At the moment, the Control Panel is the same, however, that might change if Best Buy and Chumby decode to go different directions on new features.

Duane wrote:

The Infocast 3.5 and Chumby One are nearly identical except for the appearance, however, the Insignia does not support a battery.

You can see what the Insignia device looks like by searching for "NS-DP3CH" on Best Buy's website.

Some people might prefer the different appearance, and of course these are available at retail in Best Buy's stores.

There are some slight differences in the electronics - for instance, it uses a difference touchscreen.

At the moment, the Control Panel is the same, however, that might change if Best Buy and Chumby decode to go different directions on new features.

Thank you.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.