Topic: Communications questions.

Hi,

I have a few questions that did not turn up answers in simple searches.

1.  I have noticed that things I can do in the PC based stand alone flash player, like log into a webserver that requires cookies to communicate, seems to work.  However, when I attempt the same stunt using a my swf file (running as the Chumby control panel), the same webserver  treats it as unauthenticated.  This is a web server that really has no authentication activated, no login required running on the local LAN.  The flash running in this fashion on the chumby is actually the first time in the life of our product (5 years) that anyone in my team has seen this particular webserver (running on an embedded linux server on the LAN) give an unauthenticated message.

Does the chumbyflashplayer do less than the stand alone projector on a PC regarding cookies?  (or is this a flashlite thing?)

2.  I have also noticed that when I try my normally reliable alternative approach of connecting by using a socket at port 3050, the connection is never recognized by the socket server.  It does work in just about every other configuration, except running on the Chumby.

Does the chumbyflashplayer allow direct socket connections to ports (such as 3050?)

Thanks!

nearmedia

Re: Communications questions.

1) FlashLite does not support cookies.

2) I don't know of any reason why the movie would not connect to port 3050 as long as there's a valid crossdomain file that grants it the necessary permissions to do so.  If it doesn't have permission, it will not attempt to initiate the connection.

Note that standalone players running local trusted movies (such as in a PC standalone player) do not require the crossdomain files, however, movies loaded over the network *do*, since they're treated as network untrusted - for instance, a movie loaded onto a webpage in a browser would need permission to open a socket on another domain.

Hi Duane,

Noticed a policy change in Flash 9, wonder if it affects Flashlite 3.1.7.

crossdomain is no longer the method to allow sockets to communicate, a different socket policy file must be served up as described here:

http://www.lightsphere.com/dev/articles … olicy.html

IF this update does not apply, is the normal crossdomain.xml file possibly missing an entry like this?

<allow-access-from domain="*" to-ports="3050" />

or

<allow-access-from domain="*" to-ports="*" />

?

nearmedia

Yeah, the policy stuff is different in Flash 9 and later.

FlashLite 3.x uses the same method as Flash 8 - the snippet you posted should work.