Topic: Can widgets be served from sites other than chumby.com?

Hi,

I have searched for an answer to the following question, but so far have not found it.

Can I host my own Chumby apps on my own website?

The reason for the question is that I have been using Flash for way too long.  As such, I have found and harnessed the joy of runtime sharing, and the base parameter that gives me relative path directories.  These features enable me to create quick responsive apps, but ones that rely on structures of both data and supporting swf pieces and parts.

If I could host my own, then i could point to a main.swf inside the directories that is then the base for the rest of the files.  I do this approach on other solutions, like set top boxes using Stagecraft flash lite player,with no problems whatsoever.

I found a very interesting bit of guidance on the great resource Duane posted at http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … a_channel.

This describes the use of profile.xml to "blend" local widgets into channels. 

Side Question:  From the threads I read and my own experience on the BB8, that this does not work as described.  Is there a fix for it?

In the mixing local widgets section, it says the profile.xml file (which resembles a Google gadget definition file)

"Note that the href fields can be full URLs to external servers that have appropriate crossdomain security, and that the widgets will have the security sandbox corresponding to those sites, not *.chumby.com"

This seems to describe the ability to host widgets from any site.  BTW, I am developing against the InfoCast/BB8.

Re: Can widgets be served from sites other than chumby.com?

The "profile.xml" Easter Egg does not work on the Infocast, as indicated by the icons at this link.

I don't know of a way to mix local or external widgets on the Infocast.

You could try having Chumby host a trivial SWF that in turn does a loadMovie() of the real widget from your external server.

Thanks for the quick response Duane.  Understood that I cannot mix local and external widgets.  Can I create widgets that are hosted on my site?  vs. having to upload them to chumby.com?

Is there a way to run local widgets at all on the Infocast?

At this point, there is no way to run local or external widgets within the context of the Control Panel, however you can run local and external widgets as standalone movies *instead* of the Control Panel.

stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i <path or URL to your widget>

You can put this code in a "debugchumby" file on USB to launch it on boot.