Topic: (Newbie Alert) TCP/IP connection to server for ASCI Send/Receive

Hi All,
     Sorry if this has been covered before.  I looked but could not find anything specific on this subject.  What I'm trying to do is open a TCP/IP connection on a specific port to send/receive acsi data to/from the server and chumby device.  The server I'm trying to connect to only supports asci transmission in real time via a client/server relationship.  I would like to push a refresh button on the chumby which would send a request to my server where by the server would send a response which would populate text fields on the chumby. 

I'm really looking for an example that could point me in the write direction or any links that I could read up on to learn if this is even possible.

Thank you in advance,
     Marshall

Re: (Newbie Alert) TCP/IP connection to server for ASCI Send/Receive

I think you'll need to make a HTTP proxy for that service -- Flash can post to a HTTP server and get back XML easily, but it can't do that kind of low-level port access that you want.  A script running on the Chumby's web server could do both.

Thank you very much for your quick response!

So the chumby can run a web server?  From the server I can call "GET" commands to bring in XML/HTML.  However on the server I can not create XML/HTML files.  I will need to send raw data from the server to the chumby..

Does the chumby support so sort of telnet/SSH interaction via widget?

Yes, please look at the Chumby wiki -- http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … TTP_server