Topic: Recent outages

Has anyone else found Chumby.com unreachable on & off for a week or so now. 

The site seems to be up but sometimes I get kicked out of a widget to the Chumby clock & the control panel says 'Not Connected.'  Upon reboot I get to the 'use existing network' screen & repeatedly go through the steps to connect only to find Chumby.com unreachable.

Re: Recent outages

The site has been up except for the scheduled outages posted in the "Announcements" section.

"chumby.com unreachable" does not mean that chumby.com is down - it simply means that your device was not able to connect to it, which could happen for many reasons.

Thank you Duane.  I must say you are one of the most helpful people here in the forum.  Cheers to you.

I am not all that tech savvy.  What else could it be?  I am almost always in the same room as my my wifi.   I have not changed WEP or Mac addresses or anything. 

Any & all insight would be greatly appreicated.

?Tom

It's hard to really know exactly what's wrong in particular, since so many things can go wrong between your device and the chumby.com servers.

When this happens, do you get any other messages besides "chumby.com unreachable"?

In my house, even though I have a strong wifi signal, my devices sometimes lose connection when someone uses the microwave oven.  Other devices use the same part of the radio spectrum - bluetooth, rocketboost, etc, some of which can interfere.

Here's what I suggest - try changing the channel on your wifi access point and see if the situation improves.

Thank you Duane.  I will look into those options.  You rock!

I used to see my chumby drop out of connection for a while from time to time even when my laptop wifi was still up.

This was caused by the place I had it being close to other electronic equipment that knocked 2 bars off the wifi reception, so moving the chumby a few feet was all that was needed to cure the problem.

Thank you PaperClippy.

For the last few weeks I have changed the channels & attempted connecting in different parts of the house & outside as well.  We have no other devices operating within that spectrum anywhere.  We do have a microwave but it is not in use when I try to connect. 

Is it possible this is a Chumby issue?

What does your link quality look like when the Chumby is at its normal distance from your AP? (can check link quality by going to the   control panel < settings < chumby info)  .  Should give you a full read out.  How far away are you from the AP at this point? If the connection appears to be normal I would recommend contacting customer support for additional help.

My link quality is strong.  I usually can't connect to get to the control panel.  When I do connect I always have 4or5 bars.  It usually looses connection in less than 10 minutes.  On the control panel it shows 4or5 bars until it is replaced by 'Not Connected.'  Then eventually the clock.

Thanks.

The bars don't give quite as detailed an explanation as the “chumby info” section, which will actually give you a numerical read out of the connection quality that you are achieving. If you could bring the Chumby in the same room as your AP and give the readout of the link quality and approx how many feet the Chumby is away, it would give a good indication as to whether or not it is Chumby hardware related. Here is also a good link for connection improvement tips. Also, like I mentioned previously, customer support is always a great place for help on something like this.

Today I left my Chumby on Chumby Info to monitor aprox 8 feet from the AP.  Most of the day it ranged from 88-100% with -40 to -44dBm.  There would be times when reception would cut out altogether out of nowhere.  Seems to cut out about the same time it usually does.  Odd.

Ideas?

Thanks.  Tom

Bump.