Topic: Problems connecting Chumby to WPA protected access point

Hi,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me. I received my Chumby One last weekend. I am absolutely in love with it, but I need to report a problem.

My router (Linksys WRT54GS, OpenWRT formware) uses WPA-PSK, TKIP and I was never able to connect with an ASCII key. I tried 3 times and I don't think I mis-typed it 3 times. After I calculated the HEX equivalent of the key, I was able to connect. In all fairness, I do use a rather long (40 char) ASCII key, with some "funny" characters in it, but none of my other devices have had any problems with connecting using the ASCII key. My SSID is not hidden or anything.

I couldn't find any threads about this problem. Is it a known issue? In that case, I will be happy to continue using the HEX key. However, if it is not supposed to be that way, maybe I can help with some debugging? Any suggestions on where to start? Is it possible to see (without any network access, obviously) what the HEX key equivalent the Chumby tries to use? Or I can send my SSID and WPA key in an email to one of the developers. I don't feel like publishing it here  tongue

Regards
MartinN

Re: Problems connecting Chumby to WPA protected access point

Can you tell us which "funny" characters you used - perhaps they're not being escaped correctly when passed to the wireless subsystem.

Sure. With the risk of sounding like a complete nut (just don't ask why, OK). The following characters are all included in my PSK (together with uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers):

?,*%&=()

It's certainly not unreasonable to include such characters in a password, so nobody here would call you a nut, at least because of this (there may be other reasons, though...).

We'll check to see if these characters introduce issues.  Thanks!

Sorry, Duane. I just did some tests to try to isolate the problem. And now I simply cannot reproduce it. I can only think of 2 things. Either the update that was pushed to the Chumby when I connected for the first time with the HEX key solved the problem (probable) or I did enter the wrong key three times (improbable).

At any case, I can now connect with my long and complicated WPA key in ASCII mode. Now I will immediately do 30 push-ups as a punishment for taking up your time.  neutral

Ah - it's quite likely the update addressed the issue.  Keep us informed if the problem reoccurs.

Cheers!

Hi,

I've found some small little ~bugs~ when entering a wpa Ascii key :

When you type in the key in Ascii, the chumby keyboard include a character like 'Et', i think it is for '&', but it is strangely designed and not easy to be think is a & (i think it is)...

An annoter small things, whan you entering a long 63 or 64 char on a chumby classic, the screen do not display the 2 or 3 char, because the key is displayed on 2 line but the cut of the first line is not well made...

Other things, it would be great to have the possibility to correct the key (going on a previous char without having to delete all (when you read again the key and discover an error at the begining... you had to delete all char after the error)

And please get the possibility, to edit the key after having validate it only if there is an error.... a had more than one hour to get the chumby working because of some error on typing.

Thanks

Regards