Topic: Pandora button modalities backward?

When on the Pandora screen, and it is playing, on the play/pause button, the "play" icon is highlighted, and the "pause" icon is dimmed, and vice versa.

Typically in these interfaces, if the device is playing, then "pause" will be highlighted. If paused, then "play" will be highlighted -- i.e the mode that will be activated if the button is pressed is highlighted. This is the opposite of the current interface.

--tom

Re: Pandora button modalities backward?

This is how Pandora itself is set up (on a PC as well).  It highlights the current option, not the selectable option.

That's funny, I've never noticed it on the PC version, however it bugs me on the Chumby too.  I am amazed I hadn't seen a thread about that before this one.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

There are actually a couple of threads that mention this, such as this one from somewhat over a year ago.

In one of the threads (not sure which one), I mention that this is the way Pandora does it, and since they have UI various guidelines that we're required to follow, this is the way it's done on the chumby.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a bug as well.  There is a bigger UI debate about this sort of thing - should a button's label or icon show the *current* state of the function it controls (like radio buttons and check boxes do) or the state that will result when the button is pressed (like push buttons generally do).

In general, the convention for these buttons is that their labels should show the result of the next action, but if look hard enough, you'd probably find other products that follow Pandora's style.

Duane wrote:

In general, the convention for these buttons is that their labels should show the result of the next action, but if look hard enough, you'd probably find other products that follow Pandora's style.

If I have to look hard, it's not a convention. Pandora is wrong.

Hey Duane, that was your 4,000th post. Do you get a prize?

--tom

Well, now that Pandora changed their web interface to be sane, can the chumby Pandora music source do it too? big_smile

Yep, Pandora fixed it. I just checked Pandora on both Mac OS and PC browsers and the UI states are now what they should be, i.e. pause button lit when playing, play button lit when paused.

And all this time I thought it was just the Chumby widget. Glad Pandora realized they had it backwards.

Wadayasay Duane? smile

Well, Pandora gives us very strict UI guidelines that they require us to follow.  Until those guidelines have been modified to reflect the new behavior on their site then it will remain as is.

Aww shucks... I noticed the change in my browser and thought maybe it was already coming as they continue to improve their interface on their end.  Probably too lazy to update the UI requirements to their external parties.  Maybe us users (who are anal-retentive like myself) should try e-mailing Pandora. big_smile