Topic: Flickery LCD when dark screen

My Chumby one LCD has a very visible flicker/refresh when the LCD is displaying a fairly grey image like the "Logging in" part of the Facebook News Feed widget.  It isn't anything to do with the backlight as that doesn't change depending on how dark the actual screen image is.  Altering the backlight settings doesn't do anything anyway.

Is that normal?  The rest of the time it is fine and I only ever notice it on the Facebook widget but that is the only one that I use with a dim screen.  Just curious as to whether it was a fault with my Chumby or whether it is a hardware limitation of the LCD or how it is driven.

Re: Flickery LCD when dark screen

Please contact customer support - http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support

tiersten wrote:

My Chumby one LCD has a very visible flicker/refresh when the LCD is displaying a fairly grey image like the "Logging in" part of the Facebook News Feed widget.  It isn't anything to do with the backlight as that doesn't change depending on how dark the actual screen image is.  Altering the backlight settings doesn't do anything anyway.

Is that normal?  The rest of the time it is fine and I only ever notice it on the Facebook widget but that is the only one that I use with a dim screen.  Just curious as to whether it was a fault with my Chumby or whether it is a hardware limitation of the LCD or how it is driven.

I see the exact same behavior, so it might just be how the LCD is driven.

inio wrote:

I see the exact same behavior, so it might just be how the LCD is driven.

Yeah.  I talked to customer support and they have exactly the same artifact when displaying something like that.  The Dilbert widget does it as well.