Topic: Chumby 1 - No FM

Just tried to play the FM, and while it can find some stations, all I hear is static.  Anything special I should do?

Re: Chumby 1 - No FM

For mine to pick up any stations the antenna needs to be fully unraveled and held straight up. I pick up the weak stations strong and the strong ones mediocre go figure lol.

Adding more copper seems to be the best thing you can do.  Clipping off the last few centimeters of the wire antenna and soldering it to a larger coil of wire can really help.  I have a 150m spool lying around from shortwave experiments that works like a charm smile

We're in San Diego here, and I was able to pick up KUSC coming from Los Angeles.

4 (edited by kathleen 2009-12-10 21:15:37)

Duh, that's what that wad of wire was in the battery case, glad I asked.  And should I attach it to the mast on the roof?

Works pretty well, without the mast.  And I'm sure some of the popping are the computers and other electronics in here.

no not the mast on the roof, i just keep the wire up as high as i can.

If you've already got the aluminum forest, might as well add it smile

I see we have some hams present...  I'll be taking the technician class/test soon!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Excellent!

I got my General Class license at the last FCC testing in Dallas, and got my Extra class license on a bet (someone bet me I couldn't do it).

Don't do much with it, but it's a good strong background for teaching technology stuff -- I am a certified high school computer science / technology apps teacher.   Also certified in math, but try not to remind people of that.

My love is CS, but have taught engineering, web design, and math.