Topic: A reversible way to remove the FM antnna?

I love my new Chumby One, however I do not love the dangling FM antenna cable which hangs out the back of the device.

Is there a safe way to remove this antenna in a reversible way - that is I might decide to put it back at some time in the future. I don't mind opening the device given accurate instructions.

Re: A reversible way to remove the FM antnna?

You'll pretty much lose all FM reception if you get rid of the antenna, however...

There are two ways to open the case:

1) Remove the four round stickers on the back that cover the screw holes, and unscrew the four screws, and slide the back out.

or..

2) With a small flathead screwdriver, gently pry the bottom piece away from the  front plate.

Once open, this wire is soldered to the board, so you're need to snip it off.  You *could* just curl it up inside the case if you think you might want to use it in the future.

If you don't have a battery, you can just curl it up in the battery compartment.

We really can't get anything without the antenna - it's required by the frequencies at which FM operates.  Most small handheld players that don't have a retractable antenna use the headphone wires.

i'm gonna clip mine too.  i'm hesitant to cripple a feature of my shiny new device, but i don't think i'll use fm much with all the streaming stuff.  you could install some sort of connector on the bottom there.  something as simple as a female pin header could work.  if you do take yours apart, post some pics.  i haven't seen any pics of the C1 insides yet.  i was going to take some myself, but my screwdriver is not long enough to reach the screws. smile  i might try to pry off the bottom if it comes easily enough.

4 (edited by gregf 2009-12-09 17:45:25)

My CH1 doesn't have an antenna wire hanging out.
Should it ?
The image on the website doesn't show one.

it's likely still tucked away in the battery compartment.

Duane wrote:

1) Remove the four round stickers on the back that cover the screw holes, and unscrew the four screws, and slide the back out.

This might be a stupid question, but here goes anyway -- if I take the four stickers off of the screw holes, can I put them back on?  I plan on sticking the antenna inside the case and don't trust myself enough to pry the front off.  I like the clean look of the covered-up screw holes, though, so I would like some way to get the stickers back on.

7 (edited by ChumbyLurker 2009-12-15 00:23:40)

You might be able to get it to work.  If you do, use a toothpick or something nonmetalic to get them off.  It's still hard.

However, there was a post on the wiki that has instructions on how to open it up without taking the stickers off.

i got them off with my pocket knife and tucked the wires inside

the dots went back on fine

you could unsolder the antenna, solder a header pin on the chumby, then solder a header socket pin on the end of the wire. If it was bent properly, perhaps a hole could be drilled in the case and the antenna wire plugged in externally.
--tom

10 (edited by silurius 2009-12-29 22:09:21)

I'd like to see someone create a cute prehensile tail cover that could be easily removed to expose the antenna again once the FM tuner is needed.  That would get the antenna up and out of the way without any modifications or sacrifices, and would add a lot of character to boot.  (I'm almost surprised this doesn't already exist).