Topic: Link Quality

Just curious... was watching the link quality on the info screen and wondering why it varies so much. About +/- 5, sometimes up to -20. Seems like it should get a fairly consistent signal strength.

Re: Link Quality

Not really, wifi is very low power, and very temperamental to local geometry and environment.  Someone walking by is enough to make it change.  Microwave ovens or wireless phone handsets will profoundly disrupt the signal.

Most operating systems do a bunch of averaging over time to smooth out the fluctuations to give the illusion of stability.  It's also a dirty little secret that many implementations fiddle with the value to make their products look "better".

"Link quality" doesn't really correspond to anything physical - it's a computed function based on the signal strength, noise levels, packet bit errors, and other factors.

Agreed with Duane totally.  And it goes even further into the environment.  You'll see it change during a typical day as humidity decreases and then increases around here, for example, or if it starts raining.  It's effectively in the same band as a microwave oven, and heating up that water vapor absorbs power - just like your microwave.  It's just a larger cavity...  Multipathing is another pseudo-random example.  Open or close a door, change the position of a seat cushion in another room, and suddenly you have multiple paths, or erase multiple paths.  Or invalidate one and create another. 

"Diversity-type" AP's/bridges/routers will help with that to an extent, and hinder in others.

Microwave and near-microwave are touchy beasties at the best of times.  At a few milliwatts radiated it gets rather more unpredictable.  Add to that Duane's examples of "creative signal measuring" and it's kinda like MIPS: Meaningless Indices of Performing Speed.

The real question is:  Are you connecting at or near full speed to your AP?  Yes?  Ignore it.  No?  Move it (or relocate the base antenna or add a bridge).

---
I Void Warranties (tm)

Also to add to all the noise are all the other WiFi networks that are out there. I was having issues with my Chumby staying on the network as it in an upstairs bedroom on the completely opposite corner of the house to my WiFi router, which is in the basement. I really did not want to move either device, so instead I did a quick site survey using my laptop to see what other networks were in the area. There were several other networks I could see from that same bedroom, so I took note of what channels they were using and moved my router setting to an unused channel. As the majority of people simply use the default settings the majority of networks, including my own, were all set either to channel 1 or channel 6. This solved my connectivity issues with the Chumby and improved the performance of all my wireless devices.

Unfortunately the WiFi band is unlicensed, so there are many devices that use these frequencies. I recently added a pair of wireless speakers which just about killed my wireless network. The speakers defaulted to the exact same channel as I was using for my network. The speakers seemed to always win the interference battle. I was able to change the frequency of the speakers to channel 11, but it just shows that with all of the wireless devices out there you really need to keep a frequency plan in mind. I know it may sound like a bit too much, but it really helps out. I initially setup my router to channel 1 to be far away from the microwave oven, which can interfere with channels 7-10.  Since most of my neighbors were using channel 6 and only a few using channel 1, I chose channel 3. It is still not perfect as channel 3 overlaps both, but it has really helped me out.

-HuckFinn

Good feedback. Thanks. I noticed this when I was playing around with Tomato firmware on a new WAP I got. I was increasing the Transmit Power and using Chumby as a signal strength meter. I could get it up into the 80's (from 50's) but didn't know if that actually meant better throughput or not (ie, a strong but distorted signal probably not better).

So Duane... you say

"Link quality" doesn't really correspond to anything physical - it's a computed function based on the signal strength, noise levels, packet bit errors, and other factors.

Since you mention bit errors, does that mean a higher number IS getting better throughput?

"Higher" generally means "better", whatever that might mean.

To the extent that bit errors may contribute to the link quality value, then it's possible that a higher value could mean higher throughput.  Or it might not, if some other factor outweighs it.  It's quite possible to have a strong signal but receiving complete garbage.

It's all voodoo.

Some of these numbers come out of the wifi chipset, some are computed by the driver for the chip.  If you're foolishly brave and/or completely insane, you can examine the driver source code to see how it's done in this particular case.

If you want to see the errors, etc, open a browser on your PC to the IP of your chumby- there's a link to network stats.