Topic: Hardware dis-assembly of Chumby One - how hard?

Are there tear-down instructions out there? I need to re-package a chumby one in an outdoor case, I'm hoping that the screen is relatively easy to separate from the enclosure, anyone with experience with this?

I have 2 of the Chumby Guts on order from Maker but I'll need more so I'd like to figure this out.

thanks,
-s

Re: Hardware dis-assembly of Chumby One - how hard?

Well, since the "chumby one" has not yet been released for sale as of this date (Oct 25, 2009), it's unlikely there are any tear-down instructions posted anywhere.

oh.  :-)

Let's see, we're using them to run our own software for a prototype and need to repackage them for outdoor use. I just ordered 2 of the chumby guts kits from Maker but they just sent out an email saying that was the last batch (incidentally, they sold out fast - twice - you sure you don't want to sell them this way?)

Is it possible to buy these (perhaps in bulk, on an OEM basis) without the enclosure? Any sense of how difficult it will be to tear them down? basically I need to separate the screen from the plastics so that when we mount it, it looks ok. I had thought to use the chumby guts kits but if they're going away then I need to figure out how to work with the ChumbyOne.

many thanks,
-s

I just got my Chumby One. Haven't even powered it on, but it's simple to disassemble. About the only hard part was finding a screwdriver with a long enough shaft to fit down the hoes in the back of the device.

If you've ever taken anything apart it'll be easy enough once you find the hidden screw holes (and since you're planning on repackaging it, I assume you have some sort of skill with a screwdriver- bad assumption, I know)

Someone mentioned that it's easier to disassemble than the classic due to the molded plastic instead of stuffed leather.