Topic: Phidgets and Flash

Hello everyone!

So the subject of Phidgets has come up now and again on these forums, and I know Bunnie actually got something working earlier this year.  I'm currently trying to get a Phidgets RFID reader working with my Chumby, and even crazier I'm trying to get it working in Flash.  I've run into a host of problems so far though, not the least of which the fact that Phidgets only supports ActionScript 3.0 these days (and of course we're bound to AS2.0 with Flash Lite).  The other little hiccup is the need for the Phidgets webservice for Flash to read anything from the hardware device.  I have a gut feeling that this is doable, but I'm far from a Linux expert and it's been slow going so far.  I was wondering if anyone has tried this, or has any thoughts or suggestions as to the feasibility of the project.

Thanks in advance,

~ Kim

Re: Phidgets and Flash

So it took some time, but I finally got this working (and it works great!)  In the end it came down to a few things:

1) Cross-compiling the Phidget21 linux library using arm-linux-gcc (GNU Toolchain).

2) Writing a C program using this library and plain-vanilla sockets to create a communication channel to the Flash program.

3) Using an XMLSocket in Flash to connect to this socket and read the incoming RFID values.

4) Writing a debugchumby script that looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/usb
mount -t usbfs null /proc/bus/usb/
./rfid &
RFPID=$!
chumbyflashplayer.x -i flashapp.swf &
FLASHPID=$!
wait $RFPID
wait $FLASHPID

In short, this mounts the Phidgets RFID reader, runs first the C socket program and then the flash application in the background, and waits for both to terminate before giving over to the default Chumby applications.

5) Placing both programs, the debugchumby script, and the libphidget21.a library on a usb drive, to be plugged in before boot.  That's it!

Anyways, if anyone wants more details feel free to ask here, in the end it's not that hard and well worth the effort.  Chumby + Phidgets = great fun to be sure!

~ Kim

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

I'm struggling with Phidgets on the chumby.  Can you please post some more details?  I'm having a hard time geting it to cross-compile.  I would appreciate some sample files if you can.

thanks

How neat!

I picked up a IO board and server control Phidgets a couple of years ago, I wonder the compatability level?

It really brings on some interesting thought processes though... if there were a way to create a nice chumby interface for a phidgets project ....   I am in the middle of a closet hydroponic food growing system... ::wanders into thought::

I'm looking to do something very similar. I need to mount a Phidget 8/8/8 board on my Chumby, and ideally control it from Flash.

Is there any chance you might be able to post your socket server? If you need a place to host it, I could gladly post it on my Chumby page, which is here by the way:

http://gizmoware.net/chumby

Or just email me if you'd prefer to communicate off forum, I'm at wrybread at gmail dot you know what.

I now need this somewhat urgently. Does anyone have any tips on how to interface a Flash app running off a thumbdrive, with a Phidget 8/8/8 board? I'm using a Chumby classic, so I guess I need the drivers for the Phidget too.

Is there a wiki page or anything like that?