Topic: My dog ate my Chumby or takes a licking and keeps on ticking....

mmmmmmmm tasty morsel  My day old Chumby I barely knew ya....

Well, actually she shredded it, tore the stuffing out and mangled the case, chewed the hard plastic that holds the sound card and usb ports and speakers.

Amazingly, it still works....plays its channel, speakers are munched but still work. all okay all except for the touch screen, which is now just a display....no touch capabilities.  Not sure if there's anything I can do at this point except try to mod a case and have a dumby chumby.

I tried hooking up a usb mouse, but no result on the settings screen, so essentially it's stuck at the brightness and volume it was at during dinner.

Any thoughts about achieving some input capabilities greatly appreciated.

thx

Chris

Re: My dog ate my Chumby or takes a licking and keeps on ticking....

Wow - I think we need to see pictures of this smile

Definitely! Ouch. yikes

Its like watching a train wreck....

Reminds me a bit of Ralf, who had his chumby murdered by the customs folks.

Didn't understand the text from 'Ralf', but the pictures of a butchered Chumby made my heart jump.

To answer the original poster's question, I think this chumby is effectively totaled even though it seems to be limping along - the Flash Player is coded to use the touchscreen driver exclusively, and while we have USB mouse drivers, they're not hooked up to anything.

You should probably check to see if the ribbon cable for the touchscreen has simply come out of the connector - there are two ribbon cables that come from the screen, a wide one for the video and a narrow one for the touchscreen.

Duane wrote:

To answer the original poster's question, I think this chumby is effectively totaled even though it seems to be limping along - the Flash Player is coded to use the touchscreen driver exclusively, and while we have USB mouse drivers, they're not hooked up to anything.

You should probably check to see if the ribbon cable for the touchscreen has simply come out of the connector - there are two ribbon cables that come from the screen, a wide one for the video and a narrow one for the touchscreen.

Are there plans to have USB mouse support integrated into the chumby flash player?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Hi I am ralf from Switzerland. Just to explain it: The picture shows the chumby of a friend of mine. The Swiss toll tried to controll the parcel but they opened it with a knife .-(
The result you have seen under http://ressmann.wordpress.com/2008/04/0 … ser-kommt/

Thanks for posting, Ralf.

Did you friend get a refund?

As far as I know  he and the people form chumby industrie found a good way to help him....
Its a kind of difficult because there is no official shipping to Switzerland.

Materdaddy wrote:

Are there plans to have USB mouse support integrated into the chumby flash player?

Not at the moment - using a mouse would require a cursor, and our current video driver doesn't support them at the moment.

I'll post an enhancement request if someone can find the time.

Duane wrote:
Materdaddy wrote:

Not at the moment - using a mouse would require a cursor, and our current video driver doesn't support them at the moment.

I'll post an enhancement request if someone can find the time.

Is there any hardware blending going on of multiple surfaces?  This seems like it should be easy if there's a free surface to draw a cursor and hardware blending.  I haven't had much time to dedicate to my new Chumby, so all I know about the graphics at this point is some of what I've read on the forums and that there's 2 frame buffer devices used.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

The LCD controller supports a hardware cursor - it's just not hooked up to the video driver.  I also need to check if Flash Lite will even support a cursor - all of the devices I'm aware of that use Flash Lite use either buttons or touchscreens for input.

Duane has the photos......it's not a pretty sight....

Go on, post them here!

Damn those pictures are like watching a trainwreck.. Enough to make a geek wince and cry..

http://files.chumby.com/duane/dogatemychumby/chumby013.jpg

http://files.chumby.com/duane/dogatemychumby/chumby008.jpg

http://files.chumby.com/duane/dogatemychumby/chumby009.jpg