Topic: New Chumby: Will not boot (locks up)

I plagerized the subject line.  smile

I got my wife a Chumby, it arrived yesterday.  We activated it, did the software update, etc., last night.  My wireless is a 802.11b-only Netgear.

It works great except it gets stuck on a screen with a bunch of circles at power-up sometimes, but the circles have no color (just blue background with 16-ish grey circles.)  It did this a bunch of times in a row, then it powered up fine, then after power-cycling it started doing it again.

Any ideas?  SW or HW issue?  It's kinda useable as-is but I want to fix this.

-Chris (on behalf of Tina, tina_fries at yahoo dot com)

Re: New Chumby: Will not boot (locks up)

I had the same issue when I first got mine.  I was constantly having to plug/unplug multiple times when I moved the unit so I could get off of that screen.  I would love to know what the Chumby is trying to do at that point.  Trying to get an IP address?

Anyway, the problem eventually went away.

Please contact support - at this point it's initializing some of the hardware subsystems, but it should not (yet) be trying to access the network - that usually happens during the "waving hexapus" animation.

OK, if it happens again I'll give support a call.  For now it's on and working and I don't want to deprive my wife of a working birthday present. smile

scuba_steve, how long did that issue last?  Did you put in a battery or do anything differently to make it go away?

-Chris

Hmmm.... it seems that my chumby (the new 2009 version) has exactly the same problem...
What did you guys do?

Okay... I somehow managed to boot my chumby into the special operations mode. I've restored the factory settings, rebooted and my chumby now seems to work again...
To be honest, I don't dare to reboot...
In case anyone is interested: I've saved the output of dmesg, logread and ps... (via SSH)
Is there anything I can/should do to get rid of this booting-issue?

Mine started acting normally for no good reason.  It hasn't failed to boot since the first week I had it.