Re: Turning back on after a power outage

Duane wrote:

These chumbys are not "broken" - they do what they were designed to do.  The chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock - it was designed to be a widget player.

I agree.  It's a widget player, a device wholly different than anything else going before it. 

Here's a thought, how eager are the advertisers going to be if they know the device won't turn itself back on again until the user intervenes?

I still didn't get an answer, perhaps I didn't ask it directly enough. 

Can I send mine back and get it fixed to power back on again automatically?

It's not "broken", so there's nothing to "fix".

I guess I'm not making this clear enough, so I'll try again - the device is simply not designed for this sort of change after manufacture.  It is what it is - at *best* we could make a change in the production line for *new* chumbys, but there's simply nothing we can do for the ones already built.

53 (edited by joltdude 2008-09-01 05:02:10)

Let me help here Duane.. What part of... No its not a bug. What part of it is how it was designed do you not understand wkearney... Even if they consider changing it.... the more you push and nag... the less likely they are to do something about it... and the more likely they are to kill your incessantly pushy threads... I know *i'd* like them to offer a fix, even if i have to pay for it.. But this is NOT the way to get through to the people that be... Perhaps you should try making a less confrontational and eloquent email Steve Tomlin explaining how and why they should resolve this issue, since Duane has already explained it was a design decision (albeit not a great one).. and it cannot be updated by the end user via USB or wireless flash update, instead of senseless venting on the fourms if it bothers you that much... And your thinly veiled threats about "I wonder how much the advertisers would like it" is not a good motivator for anyone to resolve the situation to both parties satisfaction. You get a lot more with sugar than you do with vinigar and venom.

Just because its soft-upgradable doesnt mean they can fix everything via this avenue...

The problem with open-ended development is people who keep expecting more more and more, but there are limits to the hardware... And how much do you think it would cost chumby to have every chumby sent back, reworked (opened and jtag header mounted and connected, flashed, reassembled and repackaged, and shipped both ways.....

Do not pretend to lecture me.  I read the thread and there was a point where the initial units had power-on by default, it was likewise insinuated this is possible with the current hardware, just not by not by a field upgrade.  I'm not venting about it, but it's clear Duane's been a bit frustrated with the whole power/clock situation, that's fine.

As for how much it costs, why do you make assumptions about what I'd be willing to pay for it?  What business of this is yours?  Had such a thing not been mentioned as possible I wouldn't have continued the conversation, that's not venting pointlessly.  Spare me.   I'm not one of the "but it's a CLOOOOOOOOOCK complainers".  I get what it can do.  I'm simply less than pleased it can't keep itself powered up.   Everything else is pretty great.

55 (edited by muso 2008-09-01 06:12:48)

> I'm not one of the "but it's a CLOOOOOOOOOCK complainers".

Just being curious, wkearney99, hope you don't mind.  If it's not the alarm clock issue of it not starting back up and reinstating the alarm before you wake up: what is your reason to have it resume the on state after a power outage?  Do you intend to use it as some kind of server?  I'm just wondering, because I've been divided on this whole on/off issue... (now I've got a Chumby, and realised what it can do, and how quickly it gets into doing that, I'm not too fussed about it not switching back on, but I'm wondering if I've missed something).

56 (edited by joltdude 2008-09-01 07:42:53)

I could care less about what youd be willing to pay for it.... Its how much it would cost Chumby Inc to provide the service...
Even with the end user footing the bill... Some of the cost will probably be absorbed because of the time/labor/staff required to perform this service.. Its no different than having a rework repair done on a board assembly... the labor is MORE difficult than production..  Youve gone on multiple threads with similar rhetoric... If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.. ITS A DUCK..
You *ARE* one of the ITS A CLOOOCK people, but just out of pride, cannot admit it. And we know your displeased.. But as I said.. mention it to the powers that be, dont just go trolling the forums looking for *me too* backup... Your trying to find an audience for your dissatisfaction so you can pressure Duane and the other moderators to do something when its kind of obvious they can't make that decision.. Youve already threatened to stop development on the chumby and basically want a boycott of developers ... You know. id find it quite amusing if Chumby turned around, and went to a propriatary solution and locked out developers... then what could you do? Its back to the problem of what its designed to do, and what people want/expect it to do...

And as to the pressuring moderators.. do i have to do a search for boycott and/or your userid on the forums to show an example of what I'm talking about. or is your selective memory blocking that prior artwork for you?

Muso: The power issue goes to the heart of it being an ambient information device.  If it's always on then it's the content being shown on the device that gets the attention, not the device itself.  That is, I don't have to be aware of having to fiddle with it instead of having it "do it's job".  This goes to eliminate one of the major complaints the "alarm clock lovers" make about it.  Power here dips often enough for the unit to power down, sure that's a local infrastructure problem, but not one I can easily rectify.  A bit flipped on a control panel option would be a heckuva lot simpler.

As for you 'joltdude', get a clue.  The whole pressuring moderators nonsense?  Well, that's just... nonsense.

58 (edited by joltdude 2008-09-01 08:00:10)

wkearney: Perhaps if you had a better picture of what youve done in the past and didnt see your own drivel/rhetoric with rose tinted glasses. I wouldn't need to point out your clues for you. Do something constructive and send some emails touting why this is a good idea to the powers that be and perhaps they could explain the costs to you...

Please feel free to drop me an email if you need further clarification

Actually I did make a slight mistake.. I confused the boycott thing with another user. Scratch that part

59 (edited by wkearney99 2008-09-01 07:57:00)

Enough with the insults, give it a rest.  I've no idea why you've gotten some wild hare up your ass about it, but enough already.  As for boycott, what are you on about?  I've had nothing to say regarding boycotting anything, far from it.  I'm all for getting more of these device sold and into use.  How you glean some sort of negativity on that is perhaps YOUR misunderstanding of reality.

wkearney99 wrote:

Muso: The power issue goes to the heart of it being an ambient information device.

Ok, that makes sense.  The only widgets I've really been using have been rss feeds or interactive ones, so being near the device to switch it on isn't an issue.

I also think some people take regular, reliable electricity for granted, so it's hard to imagine what a pain it really can be.  Perhaps one solution might be to hardwire a remote on/off switch somehow.  There have been quite a few hardware mods already, and I get the impression that there may not be a solution that doesn't void your warranty.

Muso, thanks for the rational response.  If the power button was a little more obvious then it'd certain be a little less hassle.  But I've got one of these units in place with older residents.  It's enough to get them to grasp what the unit does.  Asking them to fiddle with the unit and dig up their reading glasses to find the tiny power button, well, you can imagine that it's a bit of a problem.  Made worse by getting a call about it all the time.  Not exactly ideal.  And for what? 

Now, is this a common situation?  Or is it likely among the target audience?  I don't know, but with 30 years experience in the tech market I've seen more than a few 'appliance' devices failing to gain market for likewise trivial hassles. 

Oh, and those same folks calling me about it being dead have offered the response that none of their other stuff behaves this way.  The Tivo comes back on unattended, and so does their computer, digital picture frame and WebTV (granted, not dialing back in).  So when the old folks are savvy enough to notice this problem it sure seems like something worth resolving.

wkearney99 wrote:
Duane wrote:

These chumbys are not "broken" - they do what they were designed to do.  The chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock - it was designed to be a widget player.

I agree.  It's a widget player, a device wholly different than anything else going before it.

Hold on there. I love my Chumby and everything, but not only is the press reporting Chumby as an Internet-capable alarm clock, but Chumby Industries promoted it that way for a long time too, even if they don't anymore.

Consider this quotation from Chumby.com on 30 Aug 2006, back at the Dawn of Chumby: "Introducing chumby, a compact device that can act like a clock radio, but is way more flexible and fun." You can see that page here in the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/200608301739 … /corporate

So it strikes me that saying "The chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock" is either a little disingenuous or a little ignorant of Chumby corporate history.

Not trolling; just want the facts to be known.

What I do not get is why not just go purchase the smallest UPS you can find. A quick search found some under $30 for an APC 350VA unit. That would run the Chumby for quite a long time, more than enough to cover any power drops. I have one of these for each of my Tivo's, one for the wireless network and then a bigger one for the main PC. There have also been many discussions on using the 9V as a battery backup or making a bigger backup out of some AA batteries.

-HuckFinn

@rwhe - I think the distinction is that "can act like a clock radio, but is way more flexible and fun" isn't the same as "designed specifically to be an alarm clock". The Chumby _can_ act like a clock radio - it has clocks on it, and an internet radio function you can program to come on at a certain time. But it wasn't designed _specifically_ to be a clock radio; it was designed to have more general functionality, hence certain decisions were made that make it (to some) lacking as an alarm clock.

tismey wrote:

@rwhe - I think the distinction is that "can act like a clock radio, but is way more flexible and fun" isn't the same as "designed specifically to be an alarm clock". The Chumby _can_ act like a clock radio - it has clocks on it, and an internet radio function you can program to come on at a certain time. But it wasn't designed _specifically_ to be a clock radio; it was designed to have more general functionality, hence certain decisions were made that make it (to some) lacking as an alarm clock.

Sure. It wasn't designed to be an alarm clock and an alarm clock only. We both agree on that. Can we also agree that Chumby Industries has advertised the Chumby as having alarm clock functionality, literally on the front page of chumby.com, more or less from day one? Also, that to claim otherwise is mistaken or dishonest?

66 (edited by tismey 2008-09-02 04:10:04)

rwhe wrote:

Can we also agree that Chumby Industries has advertised the Chumby as having alarm clock functionality, literally on the front page of chumby.com, more or less from day one? Also, that to claim otherwise is mistaken or dishonest?

I don't think anyone is claiming that they've never advertised it as having alarm clock functionality. In fact they still advertise it as having alarm clock functionality, because it does.

Oh can we PLEASE get the alarm clock stuff posted to a thread OTHER than this one?  Let's not have this degrade into THAT mess, again.

As for UPS, gee, let's take a 6 ounce device and attach a THIRTY POUND WEIGHT TO IT.  Not exactly ideal. 

Especially when the interest isn't really in getting the device to stay running constantly.  The interest is to just get it to come back to where it was the last time it had power.   If it was on, well, come back on again.  If it was off, then someone deliberately turned it off, so stay that way. 

Yes, we're beating a dead horse.  But if we whip it long enough maybe we can get it's dead carcass across the finish line, eventually...  Squeaky wheel and all that...

tismey wrote:
rwhe wrote:

Can we also agree that Chumby Industries has advertised the Chumby as having alarm clock functionality, literally on the front page of chumby.com, more or less from day one? Also, that to claim otherwise is mistaken or dishonest?

I don't think anyone is claiming that they've never advertised it as having alarm clock functionality. In fact they still advertise it as having alarm clock functionality, because it does.

Duane of Chumby Industries wrote, "The chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock - it was designed to be a widget player." This is not true. The Chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock and an alarm clock only, but it was designed to be an alarm clock -- among other things.

69 (edited by huckfinn 2008-09-02 11:47:18)

As for this...

wkearney99 wrote:

As for UPS, gee, let's take a 6 ounce device and attach a THIRTY POUND WEIGHT TO IT.  Not exactly ideal. 

Especially when the interest isn't really in getting the device to stay running constantly.  The interest is to just get it to come back to where it was the last time it had power.   If it was on, well, come back on again.  If it was off, then someone deliberately turned it off, so stay that way.

The UPS's I am referring to weigh about 8 pounds and are not much bigger than a power strip. If your power is going out that often, then I would be more concerned about a power spike destroying your Chumby than I would be about it turning back on by itself. If this type of UPS is still too big for you and you do not care about the power spikes, then search through the forums and you will find many discussion about other battery backup solutions.

I post offering a SOLUTION to the problem, but gee, let's just argue about it so you can be heard instead of finding a workable solution. It is obvious that Chumby Inc. is not interested in reworking  units for what they feel is not a defect, which I agree. Even if they charge for the rework, it would just be too costly.

-HuckFinn

rwhe wrote:

Duane of Chumby Industries wrote, "The chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock - it was designed to be a widget player." This is not true. The Chumby was not designed to be an alarm clock and an alarm clock only, but it was designed to be an alarm clock -- among other things.

As one of the actual designers, I can tell you that *nobody* here thought "let's build the best alarm clock and also have it do other things too".  Anyone familiar with the history of the product, especially the prototypes and early releases of the software could see that alarm stuff was secondary *at best*.  The prototypes supported a single daily "quick alarm" with no snooze, and the early Control Panels in the production units only supported two "quick" alarms.

The Foo/Katamari prototype units would have made better alarm clocks than the Ironforge production units - they had a hard power switch, so they'd turn back on after an outage, they had variable screen brightness, and an ambient light sensor.  We actively moved *away* from alarm-clocky features.

Duane wrote:
rwhe wrote:

As one of the actual designers, I can tell you that *nobody* here thought "let's build the best alarm clock and also have it do other things too".

Well, then there's been a serious historical disconnect between the engineers and marketing, because the first body text on the front page of Chumby.com back in 2006 reads, "What is a chumby? Introducing chumby, a compact device that can act like a clock radio, but is way more flexible and fun..." -- and that's the message that most of  the world has gotten about Chumby, no matter what the engineers were intending.

I bought mine as an alarm clock and it works OK for that, so I'm not complaining. I recommend you realize a lot of people do think about it as a smart clock radio. If you don't want them to, step up the marketing and educate them.

I guess for us, "clock radio" meant "clock" and (Internet) "radio", not so much the alarm stuff.

I don't think we intended that the term "clock radio" was to mean that we'd faithfully reproduce *all* of the functionality of a clock radio (for instance, we don't have an AM/FM radio), any more than our video feature implies that we do everything a television does, or that our music functionality implies you can get rid of your iPod and stereo system.

I'm glad that your chumby is "acting" well as an alarm clock for you.

We do indeed know that people do want to use the chumby as an alarm clock, and at this point, I think we're getting pretty close to as far as we can go with the current hardware offering.  To be the "best (alarm) clock radio", we have to have different hardware.

Actually, to properly reproduce the typical "clock radio" alarm experience, we would have to make the device ridiculously difficult to set.

@Duane : Fair enough. smile

Duane, how much of a price difference is there between the Chumby as it is now and the hardware design used in the Foo/Katamari units? Since so many people are coming in with the expectation of an Alarm Clock+ with the Chumby, why not release a lower priced unit (with perhaps a higher profit margin) that is closer specwise to the Foo/Katamari units? I know it might take awhile, but it could definitely help if you had an Alarm Clock+ model, and a more Widget oriented device (the Chumby classic).

Actually, the Foo/Katamari unit was a bit more expensive than the current model was at launch, even though it was less capable as a computer (less memory, less CPU speed) plus the current unit has gone through some small cost reductions as production accelerates and we start getting economies of scale.

I guess the fundamental issue for us is whether or not we want to be in the "alarm clock" business at all.  Honestly, that's probably hard unless we can get the costs *way* down, in order to compete with more conventional alarm clock devices that are typically retail well under $50.  It seems to us that there are much more interesting markets to go after with this type of technology.