Topic: List of available widgets

Could you provide a list of widgets currently available to chumby? At the moment, we only know about the ones on the top ten list if we haven't got a registered chumby.

Also, any chance of a post on the future plans for chumby widgets?

Re: List of available widgets

There are quite a few widgets that we have available right now. We are constantly creating new ones and hope the develope community begins to write widgets for things that they're interested in. Here's what is available so far in 12 different categories:

Calendars

Google Calendar

Webcams

I-5/I-805 Merge (San Diego)
PandaCam (San Diego Zoo)
ShamuCam (Sea World San Diego)

Finance

Stock Quotes

Foo Camp

O'Reilly Alarm
FOO Drink Counter

Clocks

Will Return Clock
Mandala Clock
Digital Clock
Analog Clock
Moon Phase
KZ Band Clock
Cute Overload Clock

Weird

Hypnotoad
Shakespeare Insult Generator
Indian Head Test Pattern
Eyeball
Chumby 9000

News

MAKE Magazine
Slashdot
digg
Google News

Horoscopes

Daily Horoscope

Extreme

Surfline Surf Report

Shopping

Woot

Public Service

Amber Alert
Missing Children

Photos

flickr Photo Viewer

Joe

You have MAKE...can I have Craft: too?

Thanks for doing this...it gives everyone a better overview and sense of where they could focus their development efforts.

I should note that this list should expand soon.  Many of these widgets were created to test some particular functionality, not to be definitive.

Duane...is there any way for a non-coder to create a widget for chumby? Has thought been given to somehow creating an easy widget creation interface...is this even possible?

I'd like to hack chumby too but don't have the skills. Am I supposed to rely purely on other developers for my hacks? Is there anyway for *me* to be creatively involved in this besides learning Flash etc.?  (*me*...as an individual belonging to your target non-gearhead consumer base).

(BTW...if you need tutorials written for anything...i'm your girl...)

We were just discussing that today.  We have some ideas.

7 (edited by Warpling 2006-09-05 21:55:17)

Follow in apples footsteps whydontcha! heh. A nice editor designed to debug chumby functionality, etc would be nice. I really want to add some widgets, I see digg is already covered, but not Engadget, etc...

~Ryan~

Angela wrote:

You have MAKE...can I have Craft: too?

Certainly. The MAKE widget is simply parsing an RSS feed, so once the sample widgets are posted, it shouldn't be too hard to modify one to read the Craft RSS feed instead.

Joe

Thanks Joe...that's essential reading.

Would it then be quite easy (with some instructions or a simple interface - for non-coders) to subscribe to any RSS feed? Or is the device blocked for this? I'd kinda like a bloglines for chumby...I could then subscribe to my team wiki RSS and any other feed I'd like to see on my chumby...but then it doesn't get channeled through chumby network and is then not a safe widget (?)...Sorry if I sound obtuse, I'm just not really clear on how this will work. Could you give me the "for dummies" explanation?

Would it then be quite easy (with some instructions or a simple interface - for non-coders) to subscribe to any RSS feed?

If the RSS feed widget works the way I think it works, then all one would have to do is change the feed URL in the Widget's configuration XML file.

However, wouldn't it be nice if you could just have as many feeds as you wanted in the file and go through them by squeezing Chumby while the widget is active? I wouldn't think it would be that hard either, but I'd have to see the source of the widget...

I would like my chumby to display the local weather forecast when it wakes me up in the morning, maybe retrieve data from outlook if neccesary.

(sorry if this is not the correct place for the post)

I agree... I need to know how cold it is and if it is raining BEFORE I get dressed.  I put this in the suggestions area already... except I want it to give the data via text to speech.

HOWEVER... now that I heave read this thread and see they have MAKE magazone via RSS... well theweatherchannel.com etc all have RSS feeds... so really getting the weather on this thing should be cake... it's simply having it hand you the data when the alarm goes off that probably isn't a SIMPLE mod but very possible.

The "Alarm" script should be modified to have like a "user defined process" so you can tell it to open a news feed or a weather RSS etc.

I couldn't program it myself... but I know enough about programming to know it should be pretty easy to do.

I actually wrote something like this in my deep, dark past in Perl (I think) and it had text to speech...it was modelled on some famous project someone did...it was for weather reporting...

It was part of a Masters in Speech and Language Processing...if you hunt around in the links from this page you might find it...http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/speech/resources.html

Not quite sure how Perl would relate to chumby and Flash....that bit is beyond my capabilities...

Those of you who want weather, stay tuned, it's coming smile

st

Just thought I might update this list to give those of you anxiously awaiting the chumby release date a bit of news...my additions are in blue.

Some now ex-friends of mine have suggested that all you need now is an AngelaCam to have the complete set of zoo animal webcam widgets...hmmmm... hmm

I imagine there will be more on the way not long after the Flash developers at AdobeMAX get to play with some chumbys this week! Lots to look forward to!

joegrand wrote:

There are quite a few widgets that we have available right now. We are constantly creating new ones and hope the develope community begins to write widgets for things that they're interested in. Here's what is available so far in 16 different categories:

Calendars
Google Calendar
Moon Phase

Chumby
Nothing under this heading yet...

Clocks
Analog Clock
Circle Clock
Cute Overload Clock
Digital Clock
KZ Band Clock
Mandala Clock
Will Return Clock

Cooking
Martha Stewart Recipes

Entertainment
TV Guide Entertainment News

Extreme
Surfline Surf Report This seems to have disappeared for the minute...

Finance
Stock Quotes

Foo
O'Reilly Alarm
FOO Drink Counter

Horoscopes
Daily Horoscope

News
digg
Google News
MAKE Magazine
Slashdot

Photos
flickr Photo Viewer

Public Service
Amber Alert
Missing Children

Shopping
Woot

Sports
Nothing under here yet...live game scores in the future, perhaps?

Webcams
ApeCam
ElephantCam

I-5/I-805 Merge (San Diego)
PandaCam (San Diego Zoo)
PolarBearCam
ShamuCam (Sea World San Diego)

Weird
Chumby 9000
Eyeball
Hypnotoad
Indian Head Test Pattern
Shakespeare Insult Generator

Why are some of them blue?

On an unrelated note, I finished your usb thing. Its a bit tatty, cos i was gonna use some Polymorph (plastic that melts at 100 degrees C), but it made a big mess so i threw it in the bin. Right now its a bundle of wires, but it works.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

The blue writing is what I have added to Joe's original post. I was just updating it for you. Will email you re: top secret USB thingy project... smile

Angela wrote:

Could you provide a list of widgets currently available to chumby? At the moment, we only know about the ones on the top ten list if we haven't got a registered chumby.

Also, any chance of a post on the future plans for chumby widgets?

agreed.

can we just get web browser enabled list of widgets, searchable, so we don't start creating overlapping widgets?   right now i only see we can find them when adding them to our virtual chumby.

i'm envisioning a more powerful widget browser than say the firefox extensions browser.

thanks!

19 (edited by zachninme 2006-12-17 07:29:45)

I'll be happy to write any widgets for people.
I made the Instructables widget, and I'll be glad to do any work on almost any project!

Actually, I'm working on a generic RSS reader that reads from any feed, and it will be configurable.
It gets around the crossdomain.xml annoyance by mirroring the feeds.