Topic: Chumby Network Outage - Suggestions

Hey Guys,

I know when things happen like the network outage this morning, it tends to fray some nerves in the IT department. So don't take this as anything other than some suggestions.
Also, please do not let a vocal minority, which will be all over this, get on your nerves.. LOL

To help with issues like this, I would suggest 2 minor improvements to the firmware.

1. Add a basic clock to the base firmware. One that can be manually set. No alarms, no slick graphics, just a clock. Because the network is down, the device shouldn't be 100% dead in the water.

2. Add a backup server/ failover to the firmware. Since I think your on the West Coast, get a backup domain on the East Coast with a different provider, not tied to your primary network in anyway, seperate DNS, etc. Place on that domain maybe the Chumby clock, control panel and a Network Service Outage error widget.

This way, if something happens to the network, the users have some sort of feedback and do not do what I did this morning which was restart everthing and waste time diagnosing a problem which was not mine.

Thanks for listening.. And keep up the good work.
MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

Re: Chumby Network Outage - Suggestions

As a clarification.. I woke up at 5am grabbed my backpack and Chumby and headed out the door since I have only had it in my hot little hands for 4 days. So until I get one for the office, it travels. So I guess the ones that were online during the outage reverted to the clock. And since mine was in-route, when I got it plugged in, I couldn't get past the wireless config.

So on that note, how about adding another line to the diagnostics. Instead of just "can't connect to chumby.com"
Ping a time server or something so it says "Internet connected" and then the can't connect message.
This may clear up the confusion with everyone rebooting their networks ect..

Just an idea.
MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location