Topic: Chumby in pain...photoevidence attached!

OK...who came up with the Under Construction graphic?

What evil mind could even consider making a squishy, adorable chumby scream in pain by attacking him with a wrench? And threatening him with a handsaw, hammer and weird-looking pliers? yikes

What did sweet, little chumby ever do to you? He's only a baby...(oops, I mean alpha prototype...)

I am putting out a call for forumers to join with me in creating PETC (kinda like PETA but for chumby!!). mad
We need solidarity here people!

Photoevidence of chumby in agony is at this engadget link and on the virtual chumby page on chumby.com...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/hand … he-chumby/

Re: Chumby in pain...photoevidence attached!

I'll get right on that roll  /puts screwdriver and razor blade behind back and smiles

~Ryan~

That screen (and indeed the logo itself) was designed by Susan Kare.

Some of you that may have been in the business for a while might remember that she designed the original Macintosh icons back in the mid-80s, and well as the icons for Windows, OS/2 and a few other things, including the playing cards in Solitaire for Windows.

I was actually aware that Susan Kare did the graphics...(absolutely no offense was intended)

I think the chumby occy has a lot of personality for a six-tentacled sea creature and that particular graphic demonstrates how even small changes made to simple shapes can convey a lot of emotion. It made me giggle and say "Oh no, not chumby!" at the same time. And that is the skill of a great designer...simple design, high emotional impact.

I actually like the interface a lot...really happy to finally see it online. The whole concept is looking very good and I'm really keen to get started on creating beautiful outerwear for chumby...if only my eye was as good as Susan's...

Ahhhh Susan took the campfire icon from a sweendish travel book and made the builtiful "command" key. Am I right?

~Ryan~

I thought it was an icon used on playgrounds?

Here's the folklore behind the the Apple "command" key.

W007 I win, heh. big_smile

~Ryan~

9 (edited by Steve Tomlin 2006-09-08 23:21:23)

Susan was actually kind of disappointed with the way the "Under Construction" screen turned out -- it is not reallyas she designed it (the tools came out too large and really do sort of overwhelm our poor mascot).  It changed a lot in its conversion to Flash and we really haven't taken the time to try and fix it -- we'd rather just put the features in there that are "under construction." smile

st