1 (edited by buZz 2007-12-14 11:12:49)

Topic: Chumby 101 and 'forced' widgets

When will the opt-out for these come?

I don't really mind the public service announcements, it makes me laugh at how silly Americans are smile But the constantly re-added Chumby 101 makes me feel like a Teletubby viewer ('again! again! again!')

It's really degrading to keep throwing parts of a manual into the face of your users, even more so after you told us by the manual that this 'is not a toy' and 'is not for people under 13 years of age'

So if you assume i'm smart enough to not eat up the chumbycharms, and smart enough not to put my fingers in the powersocket, why must you keep reminding me that you assume all users to not check the power chord when the chumby goes dark? Or that i don't understand that i can see flickr photos with the flickr widget?

It really makes me doubtful about your business model if you assume all chumby owners to be drooling morons ....

--
Bastiaan

Re: Chumby 101 and 'forced' widgets

I agree with buZz, after the first viewing, the majority of the tips are no longer useful and aren't generating you revenue.  I'd also love to opt out of them.

I really want to get rid of chumby101 because I know how to use the chumby... there should be an option to tick in the settings something like "Help me find new chumby features" or "Show Tips" but if we don't want them we dont see them.

While not 100% annoying, it is 100% baffling why the reminders were deemed necessary after the first time they're viewed and understood. I think this is akin to a "welcome screen" on a website - the fancy welcome flash intro to some websites is fun the first time around, but considered poor usability on repeat visits. There's usually a "don't show this again" or "Skip" option...or better yet a cookie dropped to not show the intro to people who have already seen it. I'd like one of those. Same with any "Advertorial" that might be coming to the chumby. For instance as a city dweller with no car, a bunch of ads for Ford motorcars on my Chumby would drive me nuts. I'd want a method to say "no thanks, and don't tell me again". Better yet, if advertorial is coming to the chumby, I'd be willing to fill out a marketing form to ensure the messages are relevant to me (I work in advertising). I'd fill out a good 50 questions about purchases I'm planning in the next 12 months, income, etc, etc. That way at least I would be getting "news" that is relevant to my life, rather than messages that make me feel like MY CHUMBY isn't MINE.