Topic: Use the Chumby as a Smart LightSwitch

Has anyone yet done this? If so can someone post some schematics

Re: Use the Chumby as a Smart LightSwitch

I have a private widget that works with my HomeSeer server which isn't exactly a lightswitch, but close enough. It controls all my x10 and INSTEON hardware, which does include some lights.

What are you using to run your homecontrol?

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Nothing yet, I was thinking of building something from scratch woth a linux web server

jforsythe wrote:

I have a private widget that works with my HomeSeer server which isn't exactly a lightswitch, but close enough. It controls all my x10 and INSTEON hardware, which does include some lights.

I do something similar with MisterHouse (perl-based home automation).

You might be able to cook something up with Girder or EventGhost, sending a command over sockets.

5 (edited by loren1979 2008-01-17 01:47:48)

That is a nice idea.  Is this accomplished over a USB-serial converter?  I was running a BX-24 that did a bit-bucket X10 transmission and it worked fairly well.  Once again, nice idea.  Two-way capability would be a real bonus too.

-Loren

just go with it

I've got the chumby working with Phidgets (www.phidgets.com) and they offer a relay board that can control up to 250VAC at 10A light switches and appliances--in case you want to do the direct hookup like that. It would probably be fairly plug-and-play to do this, no schematics necessary.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

I use Misterhouse with X10 light switches. It can work with Insteon, too, I believe... Misterhouse exposes URLs to allow you to change and poll the status of a light. Then it's just a matter of grabbing the URL from a widget. I did enough to test that I *could* do it, but really haven't delved into it past there...

jforsythe wrote:

I just bought a Chumby and so far I love it!  We are also running HomeSeer as our home automation system and would be interested in any information available so that we can do some basic control via Chumby.

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

I'm using PowerHome for Insteon, X-10 home automation control.  I'd love to use the chumby to as well.  Is anyone willing to share the necessary information as to how they are using homeseer or MisterHouse.

That would be great.

Thanks.

I'm very interested in this too - as I'm about to set up an x10 system..
- I'll choose the software based on what might work with the chumby..

Someone must be able to help..