Topic: Source code for Chumby-developed widgets?

Hello -

I posted another thread asking for source to the Facebook photos widget (assuming it was written by Chumby), but I've got a more general request: Can/will source to Chumby-developed widgets be released as examples for others?

Is there a reason that the source for all Chumby widgets isn't already available, other than just getting around to it?  Or, is there an official policy to keep the code private?

I think it would be a big help to others to get to see/experiment with the source of the 'official' widgets - and it would save people from 'reinventing the wheel' for some standard features.

(or, am I 'blind' - is the source already available somewhere?)

Thanks in advance!

- Paulb

Re: Source code for Chumby-developed widgets?

We'll be posting a lot more sample code in the near future, however, not for every widget we've developed.

For some of the branded widgets, there are agreements that preclude release of source, and some include special API keys that are assigned by the third party for Chumby's exclusive use, and other utilize some special servers that we've created that are tied directly to the particular widget.

The Facebook widget falls under these categories - however, the API for Facebook is well documented on their site so it's not a huge effort to create another one.

The Facebook widget falls under these categories - however, the API for Facebook is well documented on their site so it's not a huge effort to create another one.

I'd personally like to see a 'photo streamer' sample app - whether it's Facebook or not (if possible, just make something 'generic' - like something that grabs from a user-specified URL).

I'm interested in some of the UI elements (like scrolling left/right via touch, overlaying transparent captions, etc) - not the actual Facebook integration.

But, as I said, I'm not only interested in the Facebook/photo streamer code - any/all examples that you can publish (esp. with nice UI elements) would be a great help to developers that don't have a lot of Flash experience.

Thanks,

- Paulb

On a related topic....

One thing to keep in mind is that quite often there's nothing really magical or Chumby-specific about the widgets you see.  They're pretty typical Flash movies, and there are examples of creating such movies scattered across the 'net.

For instance, FlashKit is chock-full of source files for Flash movies that do various interesting things.  Most of these movies would work with simple modifications (mostly for size).  A simple search for "gallery" results in 66 hits.

Byron Canfield has a bunch of examples on his site.

Thanks - I'll check out the links you listed!

- Paulb

We've posted the source for the Flickr widget here.

Duane wrote:

We've posted the source for the Flickr widget here.

Very cool - thanks a LOT!

- Paulb

From the page you linked to ("FlashDevelop/FlickrPhotoViewer" info):

Edit the FlickrViewer.as script, and enter your own Flickr API Key where the comment near the top indicates. You can get your own Flickr API key from here: http://www.flickr.com/services/api/misc.api_keys.html

Then, Simply open FlickrViewer.fdp in FlashDevelop, and build the project.

I did the above, then hit "F8" in FlashDevelop to build the project.  I get the following error:

C:\...\FlickrSample_fd/com/chumby/widgets/photostrip/Photostrip.as:70: characters 2-28 : type error Unknown variable EventDispatcher
Build halted with errors (mtasc).

I've successfully built (and run) other simple Flash examples using FlashDevelop (so I think it's configured correctly).  Am I missing something like a header file?

(sorry, I'm new to all of this Flash stuff - maybe it's obvious to others)

Thanks,

- Paulb

9 (edited by bucini 2008-01-15 16:43:54)

You probably need to edit your Global Classpath in Flashdevelop (from Project->Properties->Classpaths->Edit Global Classpaths)

On my setup, I have the following 3 paths listed.  Please try something similar based on your directory structure, and report whether it worked, so I can update the instructions in the wiki.

C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Library\

(UPDATE: these 2 should no longer be required; see below)
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes\FP7
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes

bucini wrote:

You probably need to edit your Global Classpath in Flashdevelop (from Project->Properties->Classpaths->Edit Global Classpaths)

On my setup, I have the following 3 paths listed.  Please try something similar based on your directory structure, and report whether it worked, so I can update the instructions in the wiki.

C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Library\
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes\FP7
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes

Are you implying that I need to have Adobe Flash CS3 installed on my PC in order to build with FlashDevelop?  (I don't have it installed - I assumed FlashDevelop could be used instead of Flash CS3)

I tried adding just "C:\Program Files\FlashDevelop\Library\" (the other paths don't exist on my PC) - that didn't help.

BTW: I'm running FlashDevelop 2.0.2 Final (the last NON-Beta release).  Should I be running the Beta (3.0.0 Beta5) release?

Thanks,

- Paulb

It appears that you do need to have Adobe Flash CS3 installed (or, at least their class library stuff).  Perhaps just installing the 30-day "trial" version is enough.

I copied "C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3" from another computer (which has Flash CS3 installed on it) onto my PC with FlashDevelop instealled on it.

I then added the paths you suggested.  I got the following warning when adding the last path:

The path you selected conflicts with the existing classpath C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\COnfigration\Classes\FP7.  Would you still like to add it?

... but I ignored it (hit "OK" to add it anyway).

After that, I was able to build/run the app just fine.

Please try something similar based on your directory structure, and report whether it worked, so I can update the instructions in the wiki.

I think the Wiki should be updated to note the fact that you need to have Adobe Flash CS3 (possibly just the trial) installed, and to ignore the warning on adding the last Global Classpath (unless the warning is correct, and it's redundant to add the last one).

Thanks for your help!

- Paulb

Thanks to your feedback, I went ahead and modified the example to use the open source GDispatcher class instead of the EventDispatcher that comes with the Flash IDE. 
If you download the updated zip file you should be able to build the sample without having the Flash CS3 class files.

bucini wrote:

Thanks to your feedback, I went ahead and modified the example to use the open source GDispatcher class instead of the EventDispatcher that comes with the Flash IDE. 
If you download the updated zip file you should be able to build the sample without having the Flash CS3 class files.

Thanks!  I'll give it a try later.

- Paulb

I'd love to have a copy of the source for the keyboard used in the chumby control panel/music section.  would be very handy, as i have yet to see an decent touchscreen keyboard flash components out there to "borrow" code from.