Topic: Usb-Wifi bridge ?

Hi,

I was looking at the chumbys' spec to try to use them instead of PDAs in a project I have (makin my old car behave like a recent one), when I suddenly realised that the $150 chumby has something that no cheap PDA supports : USB Host. That mean that with a few coding, the chumby can by use to :

-Replace a $100 print server
-Buy a $20 USB HD enclosure instead of a $50 ethernet one (and you can travel with chumby + HD, you can leave your router at home)
-Turn a $15 webcam into a wireless one (certainly more expensive than this)

If you /need/ that 3 things, it's cheaper to buy a chumby for the same price, and you get free time displaying, a $2 value gift. I think I will have a look, there must be some opensource usb sharing libs somewhere ! I'll keep you informed.

Thanks you for the great little piece of hardware, hope to get one soon :)
Fabien.

Re: Usb-Wifi bridge ?

I've found no readily aviable free and opensource solution, but this paper is interesting :
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/t … index.html

Fabien.

Very interesting - could you please post a link to a photo of your chumby running Windows Embedded?

I'm sure our guys would get a kick out of that.

zlnetworks wrote:

buy a USB hub with like 30 ports

A hub with 30 ports?!?!?! Where on earth would you find that!!!

zlnetworks wrote:

i did it only with my chumby running windows embedded.

yeah right...

Do you have a photo of a *chumby* running Windows Embedded, not just a picture of a screen that could come from *anything*?

What I find interesting is that, unlike most PDAs, our display operates in landscape mode, and your screenshot is not only *not* in landscape, but it's also completely the wrong resolution.

Even more remarkable, your picture is *exactly* the same as this one from this article on arstechnica.com - same name, same dimensions, same file size, exactly the same image.

What are the chances?

*snicker*

Just change your nick to PLnetworks instead of ZL.  The "P" is for pathological.  You figure out what the L is for.

--Donnie

Is there any way to just ban this guy from the forums?
Really. He has only been saying dumb things like how he managed to upgrade his procesor to a 3.2Ghz core duo. tongue
What's next?  Chumby used as an AIBOs head???

jacubilloro wrote:

Is there any way to just ban this guy from the forums?
Really. He has only been saying dumb things like how he managed to upgrade his procesor to a 3.2Ghz core duo. tongue
What's next?  Chumby used as an AIBOs head???

Personally, I don't see any reason to ban Cameron.  He hasn't actually done or said anything that violates at least the spirit of our forum rules.

He's a young kid with an imagination working a little overtime, and he's actually provided a bit of amusement for our guys, who are breathlessly anticipating stories about Windows Vista RC1 running on a quad Xeon chumby.

Duane wrote:

He's a young kid with an imagination working a little overtime, and he's actually provided a bit of amusement for our guys, who are breathlessly anticipating stories about Windows Vista RC1 running on a quad Xeon chumby.

I'm planning to get some vacuum forming gear and happen to have a 19" LCD touchscreen in my shop.  So if I ran out and got a quad Xeon board and spent a couple days in the shop I could potentially create Jumby, the jumbo Chumby.  Then beat Vista down to do nothing more than load Flash from the 'net...

No, I'm not posting my battery charging circuit.  I'm going to take the easy way and use an off the shelf car battery charger, because that's what this thing would need anyway to power it.

wink

--Donnie

Duane wrote:

... he's actually provided a bit of amusement for our guys, who are breathlessly anticipating stories about Windows Vista RC1 running on a quad Xeon chumby.

Very true... I can't admit I've had a few laughs reading some of the posts. And I guess the "quad Xeon Vista capable chumby" is already on the design table... tongue

djb_rh wrote:

I'm planning to get some vacuum forming gear and happen to have a 19" LCD touchscreen in my shop.  So if I ran out and got a quad Xeon board and spent a couple days in the shop I could potentially create Jumby, the jumbo Chumby.

A JUMBY!!! That's probably the best idea I've read so far on this forums smile Just don't run Vista, get Ubuntu...

jacubilloro wrote:

A JUMBY!!! That's probably the best idea I've read so far on this forums smile Just don't run Vista, get Ubuntu...

If *I* were to build it, it would run Fedora, but I have a tiny historical tie that causes that.  The Vista thing was just a continuation of the bad joke...  smile

True story...I also had the idea of a Linux based touchscreen alarm clock and I had the idea about two years ago.  I even have some source code I wrote to create the alarm clock (it sucks, but it was only a start) since nothing existed that really took advantage of a touchscreen properly.  I also have a couple 7" touchscreens and bought a mini-ITX system to run it with.  Problem was the video chipset had no capability to do the native widescreen resolution of my LCD (nope, not using Windows or X on Linux) and I got frustrated and gave up.  My system would have been a more full fledged desktop type box stripped down some, but otherwise it was similar.

--Donnie

Do you mind selling one of those screens you have?

Sorry, have uses for them...got them from eBay, though, and there are more to be had.

--Donnie

Hmmm, it seems that Cameron (zlnetworks) doesn't like us anymore.

oh teh noes. one child. omg, hes gonna ruin everybodys plan for chumby. i doubt anybody actually reads his site except us.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Duane wrote:

Hmmm, it seems that Cameron (zlnetworks) doesn't like us anymore.

Why should he? We don't believe he got his chumby to use a vertical display, increased the number of native pixels in his display, and copied a file name big_smile

I kinda liked him.... tongue

Cameron...

I'm Just Trying To help Guys.These Are ALL The Things I Think are wrong With The Chumby.You Can Ban me if You Want But Theres no Real Purpose Too.

You are entitled to your own opinion. Personally, I think chumby will have a lot of potential as much more than just a clock. I have lots of constructive ideas regarding its social purpose and noone minds hearing them because they actually do help develop the product rather than just put it down.

No Real Purpose Of Doing Anything But Sit Some Place That You Can See the Time

You mustn't have seen the flash content...perhaps because you don't actually *have* a chumby...

zlnetworks wrote:

P.S. A Kid Huh?Nah I'm 19 Sorry

so you are 19 heh?then why did you STFU when i threatened to report your IP to comcast? if you were 19, you wouldnt have hidden away in the corner, to cry in case you got "daddy" kicked off comcast. i bet you are like 12.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

zlnetworks wrote:

Don't Worry Guys...I Hate You M'kay.Chumby Is A $150 Clock That Runs Linux Hahahahaha You Can Get A Better Apple Laptop At http://geeks.com
For That Price.Yup Chumby Will be The Worst Thing Hackers Ever Made.Lets See
Overpriced At $150.00
Has 16 MB Or 32 MB ram Whatever(Lame As Heck)
Has No HD(So Don't Think About Running Any More Than 1 Homebrew App)
Has A Small Screen
No Real Purpose Of Doing Anything But Sit Some Place That You Can See the Time
Such A Small Screen Its retarded

I'm Just Trying To help Guys.These Are ALL The Things I Think are wrong With The Chumby.You Can Ban me if You Want But Theres no Real Purpose Too.

P.S. A Kid Huh?Nah I'm 19 Sorry

Thanks for your opinion, Cameron.

You might be right, we may be entirely wrong.

I guess we'll all find out next year.