I've read all the posts here, and the ideas of everyone, from a practical standpoint, just wanted to summarize what I've gleaned, and what I feel would be the most useful in general:
- Store your zipcode, and have an anytime weather report
- Have a quick browser for text of top news headlines (if it can be done for cell phones/google mobile, this would be really cool, as it's the first thing I would look for. Just maybe text is fine.
- Get onto shoutcast as part of the music alarm, with the station of your choice
- Since some people have their alarm clocks beep on the hour, have a nice hourly flash video (only after a set "wakeup time" and before "bedtime") play a video off the chumby server, pertinent to season, holiday, etc, with theme selected by user (nature. kids, pets, spiritual, etc., even ads which would be streamed and in turn reduce premium service costs for poor users).
- If used in the kitchen, as many folks may do, have also a text based recipe hint show up, pertinent to time of day, and save the users' prefs if they ever want to see that one again. There are huge recipe db's on the web, and the text could be gleaned for chumby.
- Be able to play and navigate though mp3 collections on USB drives, and have a speaker jack for external amplified speakers.
- Be able to read a book, even if the user has it on some USB drive format (pdf, etc), and possibly convert it to a chumby-simple file on the fly, text with pagination. Other non-pdf formats too.
- Have a way to create shopping lists, reminders, schedule stuff, etc., perhaps in conjunction with USB drive, and an easy way to pull them up, also with sound and auto-reminders (if turned on) for appointments, etc., like a daily/weekly to-do list, etc.
-Have a chat client (gaim, etc.)