Topic: Release Notes - Control Panel 2.6.51

To run the Control Panel Beta on your chumby, select it from the popup menu on the website on the "My Chumby" page - it's in the lower right - and reboot your chumby.  To return to the release Control Panel, just reselect "Control Panel" (without the "Beta") and reboot your chumby.

If you decide to revert back to the release Control Panel, you may need to "restore to factory defaults" in Safe Mode if you've made changes to the first alarm in the Alarms screen, since it's interpreted by the older Control Panel as alarm2.

if you are running a previous beta, simply reboot your chumby.  Please review previous release notes if this is your first beta.

Release Notes:

Version: 2.6.51
Release Date: 12/19/07

Summary: Adds "My Streams" audio source, which allows users to add their own Internet Radio stations.  Adds search to SHOUTcast to get access to the entire catalog.  Miscellaneous art changes and bug fixes.  Note that pretty much *all* of the present artwork in the music subsystem will be replaced soon.  Again, alarms still iffy, especially with heavy widget loading.

Clock:

* Fixed "done" button in timezone screen

Music:

* replaces art in SHOUTcast (old art still there in alarms), reduces main list to 25 stations, but...
* adds search to SHOUTcast
* adds "My Streams" source, supporting MP3 and Ogg direct streams, plus simple PLS and M3U playlist formats
* fixes misc minor bugs
* restored entry for "iPod" even if not connected (to let people know it's possible).

Alarms:

* alarms should honor duration
* repeating alarms should be properly rescheduled
* Sunday now properly treated as a weekend day
* fixed ghosting of alarm ring panel
* fixed "cancel" on continuous audio source selection
* fixes misc minor bugs

Settings/Volume:

* replaced art to be consistent with other screens

Channels:

* added name of current channel

Easter Eggs:

* Control Panel now monitors the existence of /tmp/change_profile - if present, will attempt to change channels to the channel name in the file.  The file is then deleted.  This allows external scripts to initiate a channel change.
* adds post-alarm action scripts - will look for script /mnt/usb/post_alarm_action_N where N is a one-based index of the alarm.  If not present, looks for /mnt/usb/post_alarm_action.  If either present, it will be executed when the corresponding alarm is stopped by the user.

Known bugs:

* "Music Files on USB" will not recognize complicated file names (requires firmware update)

Re: Release Notes - Control Panel 2.6.51

Let me be the first to say that You guys are amazing!  I home Chumby Industries has a great New year. 

I'll try out the new panel tonite!

wayn3w

Wow...and I was just wondering when the next beta would be!! *grin*

My Streams looks really good (though you guys turned me onto Slimserver with that source already, and I LOVE it)...a buddy of mine and I were just discussing this type of functionality today! Getting ready to try it now.

Screen scroll in Shoutcast seems to work better for me, thanks! And I think the search is a good idea.

I'm not really a big alarms user (yet), but I like what I'm reading regarding them. You seem to be heading the right way.

All in all...looks great. Again! You guys all rock.

I'm not sure if I have version 49 or Version: 2.6.51.  If I have v49, will 51 automatically be installed or do I need to do something on my end?

robdam1001 wrote:

I'm not sure if I have version 49 or Version: 2.6.51.  If I have v49, will 51 automatically be installed or do I need to do something on my end?

You need to reboot your chumby.

the control panel version is displayed in the upper-right corner when viewing the CP.

Nice updates....I can finally add Boot Liquor.

What's the chance of being able to look up a stream in Shoutcast, then bookmark it (send it to My Streams)?

I'll look into it.

I'm just blown away, this is so great!! 

Forgive if this is an obvious question, but how do I edit My Streams?

idyll wrote:

I'm just blown away, this is so great!! 

Forgive if this is an obvious question, but how do I edit My Streams?

You create a new stream by hitting the "new" button, or edit an existing stream using the "edit" button.

ih8gates wrote:

the control panel version is displayed in the upper-right corner when viewing the CP.

Thanks!

kgeissler wrote:
robdam1001 wrote:

You need to reboot your chumby.

That did the trick. Running V51 now.   thanks again.

The My Streams page is great, but it seems like it needs a stop button on the page, instead of having to go back one page to stop the stream.

Thanks for the beta control panel hope this continues after 2.6 goes public!

Duane wrote:

* Control Panel now monitors the existence of /tmp/change_profile - if present, will attempt to change channels to the channel name in the file.  The file is then deleted.  This allows external scripts to initiate a channel change.

it would be great if one could use this method to switch into night mode, too... perhaps a "channel" called *night_mode (or something that's oddball enough to likely be unique).

haven't tested - will setting change_profile bring chumby back out of night mode?

i'm having fun integrating chumby with my home automation setup...

Speaking of "Night Modes"....

Duane, what about an option in the alarm configuration to adjust the brightness (along with the channel)?  That way, one could set a silent alarm to go off in the evening to switch to a "night time" channel and dim the brightness.  The subsequent "morning" alarm would then be able to be configured to switch back to full brightness and whatever channel the user wants during the day...

Hmm, I'll have to think about that - however, I added some Easter Egg functionality in this latest version that makes this pretty easy to do with an external script.

OK guys, I'm clueless on scripting.  Anybody know how to takes Duane's Easter Egg and change the brightness setting (and channel) with an alarm?

gtm170 wrote:

Speaking of "Night Modes"....

Duane, what about an option in the alarm configuration to adjust the brightness (along with the channel)?  That way, one could set a silent alarm to go off in the evening to switch to a "night time" channel and dim the brightness.  The subsequent "morning" alarm would then be able to be configured to switch back to full brightness and whatever channel the user wants during the day...

I was going to start a topic on this very subject but I guess I'll chime in here. I'd love to see this functionality at some point. I keep my chumby on my nightstand where I'm using it as the ultimate alarm clock/radio (it will eventually replace my Sony digital clock/radio which I've had since the 1970's!)

Anyway, I find myself with a similar usage scenario. I want the full brightness setting when I wake up in the morning, but most of the day, when I'm not around, I'd prefer having the chumby in dim mode, kind of like how my laptop's screen will dim when I'm away from it, even if it's plugged in.

Currently, it takes seven clicks to change the brightness. I find myself doing this at least twice a day, which seems like a lot. Having an alarm option to handle this would be a very welcome relief. Hope you'll consider including it eventually.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can work with the Easter Egg.

BTW, just want to say how impressed I am with the new update. The only thing that could get me to give up my old Sony was an internet clock/radio. With the recent updates that day has finally arrived. Very cool to be able to wake up to KCRW here in San Francisco.

DHL, thanks for chiming in.  I suspect that there are a lot of folks that would like this functionality.  I too am doing the seven click dance twice a day.  Thankfully the beta control panel reduces some pain by changing the channel for me in the AM, but I'm left wanting more!

Okay, I like the direction of the new firmware.  Mine plays MP3s from USB now fine.  Would be nice to have a little more of an interface to browse and such, but I would assume that's coming.  The big thing I'd really like is the ability to wake to MP3s instead of just the built in choices.  Any way to do that yet?  If not, can it be done in a future version?

--Donnie

21 (edited by Aurans 2007-12-24 19:13:43)

Is there any chance of supporting "mms://" streams?  I have a Sirius account and run uSirius at home, which serves the Sirius online streams over my LAN (to my various Rokus, etc.).  It would be GREAT if I could add these streams to My Streams, but so far, it hasn't worked.

I like the Chumby (just got it today), and am trying the 2.6.51 update. I would like to have the 'music from USB' work with the directory structure on my mp3 player (it found some of the music, but the majority is nested too many directory levels down, I think). Maybe a file navigation/filename display? Shoutcast worked fine but no paging/scrolling capability?