Topic: Weight of hardware?

What is the weight of the hardware components? Minus all the soft filling/outerwear etc. I'm curious as I would like to explore embedding chumby into wearables. Weight becomes an issue there...

Re: Weight of hardware?

According to my postage scale, the core unit (screen + bezel + electronics) weights 5.6 oz. The RF shield and battery holder can be stripped to reduce weight.

The daughtercard + chumbilical weigh 1 oz.

I have a thought in the back of my mind to make the production chumby hardware much lighter and thinner. I have identified some new processors that may enable this without impacting our BOM, but don't get too excited--I have to negotiate the vendor contracts still and that can be tricky.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

OK so that's 158 g plus 28 g in my language...not bad. You've done well!

Don't get excited! Are you kidding me?! Bit late bunnie.....

bunnie wrote:

According to my postage scale, the core unit (screen + bezel + electronics) weights 5.6 oz. The RF shield and battery holder can be stripped to reduce weight.

The daughtercard + chumbilical weigh 1 oz.

I have a thought in the back of my mind to make the production chumby hardware much lighter and thinner. I have identified some new processors that may enable this without impacting our BOM, but don't get too excited--I have to negotiate the vendor contracts still and that can be tricky.

This may be jumping the gun, but I just have to ask anyways (even if you can't answer me): what other processors are you looking at? I've worked with XScales (PXA255 to be exact) in the past (and it's the only ARM experience I have), and I've had a good deal of luck with them..

But good luck working out those contracts.. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with whatever processor ends up in them (just as long as it isn't an absolute power hungry beast like some x86 chips are known to be *shakes fist*).

Hey angela where are you from?
I know you're not from US because of the "OK so that's 158 g plus 28 g in my language...not bad."

I'm in Brisbane, Australia, jacubilloro....the sunny part of downunder.

The top runners are the MX21 (stay with what we have), MX31, Monahans, and the Samsung S3C24xx series. Essentially, any SoC style media processor with 266-400 MHz performance, that is compatible with ARM9 and has excellent linux 2.6 support. And, of course, most importantly, is cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap (and available--14 week lead times suck!). This list is of course tenative.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

on a t-shirt though, it would be heavier, pull down at the front, and there would be a bulge.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

I'd put it in a jacket if I was going to put it in any clothing, or as a big bulky wristband.