Topic: Getting started with Widget Development - examples with FlashDevelop?

I've got my Chumby and I'm loving it. I'd like to write some widgets, but I've not got the cash spare for the full-on Flash Development suite, so I'm experimenting with FlashDevelop and the great wiki tutorial.

However, it would be most helpful to see some of the samples - clock and RSS reader - in a format that FlashDevelop can use, rather than .FLA files. Would that be possible?

thanks!

2 (edited by spacemutt 2007-12-05 17:13:56)

Re: Getting started with Widget Development - examples with FlashDevelop?

I would love to see some examples as well.  I plan on starting some development over Christmas and I will be using FlashDevelop as well.

John,

If noone responds, my plan was to basically download the trial flash environment to familiarize myself with the published samples ( I believe it lasts 30 days ).  Then I will have to basically take those lessons learned and start from scratch in FlashDevelop because I don't believe it has any facility to read .fla files.

Also you probably saw this.. but kayakpete put together a great Hello World tutorial at:

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … op/Example

If there is another approach to this or if anyone does have some examples written in FlashDevelop I would love to know.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Getting started with Widget Development - examples with FlashDevelop?

Thanks, Spacemutt! That kayakpete tutorial convinced me that FlashDevelop was worth trying. But as you, I would love to see some examples of timers, RSS, loading graphics, accessing Chumby-specific features..

I think you might be right about using the Trial of Adobe's product to load the .fla files and explore. It seems that .fla is a proprietary format, and nothing else will do it.

I'm hoping as Chumby is such an "open platform", that maybe they'll give us some help for writing using open sourced tools ;-)